Jl audio center console box

Extremef350

Reaction score
Hi I'm trying to find out if anyone has done the jl audio center console stealth box in the rear because my truck is an 2008 f-350 Harley Davidson edition with quad seating, and I wanted to put this box in the rear center console.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I got the JL Audio Stealth box in my center console. Standard console though. Never even knew they made a truck with a console in the rear. It sounds good, I'll say that. REAL good. I don't even run rear speakers. I don't like sound coming from behind you... Good solid bottom end that's not behind you, blends in well with the front stage. Even if you don't want to put it in the front console, it's worth it.

Extremef350

Reaction score
I got the JL Audio Stealth box in my center console. Standard console though. Never even knew they made a truck with a console in the rear. It sounds good, I'll say that. REAL good. I don't even run rear speakers. I don't like sound coming from behind you... Good solid bottom end that's not behind you, blends in well with the front stage. Even if you don't want to put it in the front console, it's worth it.

I have one in the front and it dose sound great but wanted to add a second one for the rear console and I ordered one today but jl audio couldn't tell me if it would work in the rear

SWIFT

Reaction score
You would be better off building your own or having one built. I sure wish my 2012 had rear buckets. I did a single 15 center console box in the rear of my 07 Harley with the rear captain chairs. Sounded incredible and loud as balls. I still have the box just trying figure a way to use it in my new truck.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well.
I bought a JL12W7 and there is no room for it behind the rear seat. (I knew I didn't want it behind the seat before I bought it.)
I'm moving the rear bench seat back 1.5" so I get the leg room back again. (Had to move seat forward for last sub.)
Interested in making a custom center console from the dash, all the way to just in front of the rear seats.
Not sure where to aim the new JL...or where to even put it...front, middle back...face up, face down???

Any advise?

jdc753

Reaction score
I think it mostly depends on aesthetics of your console, will you be using some storage in the top of it?

I think my first question would be do you want a stealthy install, subtle showoff (the W7 is pretty sexy both front and back) or wild?

For subtle I would do a downfiring setup, keep it about 3" off the floor, this will have an effect of "loading" the sound waves off the floor increasing output.

Next option I would do is hold the console back even with the back of the front seats and have it rear firing, maybe slight angle up, but aiming won't have any effect on the sound or output in this configuration, just a good looking setup that shows you have something.

Next if you want to go all the way back I would think about maybe up firing the sub, or maybe doing an inverted mount to show off that ass end.

In my truck I built my own stealth box in an 08 center console. I was able to get approximately 0.93ft^3 of air space and I think almost 9" of mounting depth while still maintaining 4.5" of storage up top

DSC02693.jpg

Now I have also been tinkering with a new larger 1 off center console that will go from the dash to the back of the front seats. Ported box rear fire for a 12" or maybe sealed for a 15" and if I remember right I can get approximately 2.75ft^3 with some storage space. I haven't had much time for this so no pics, but just something for you to think about.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Yeah it's a KR interior, so I don't want it to look like poo.
I have a bench rear seat, but usually have 4 people at most. This is why, if I need the box volume, I would have it from the dash to the front f the rear seat.
Only thing in the center console now is the Alpine processor.
I would ask to have an iPod integrated into it, and a couple cup holders.
Would like to see the woofer, and hide the ass, just so it doesn't take up a huge amount of space. I like the idea of basically aiming for the back window.
Could use 3/4" plexiglass on the sides to show the bottom half???

Like this one, but different color/material on outside.

imagejpg1-19.png

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
All that could certainly be done at the right shop, I don't know of any up your way though. Could probably get it wrapped in KR leather too which would be pretty sweet.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
The sub's I had in my truck was 3 JLw1 10's in a custom box that fit behind the rear seat facing forward. I had to use 1/2 mdf 1/2 fiberglass custom box to clear the subs and have them sunk in far enough to clear the seats to be folded up and the magnets clear. This was back in 09 when I had this done before these box's became available. SO it was a custom job. Original plan was 3 10" w6's in there, but it became clear when tearing into it there wasn't enough room. I didn't want shallow mounts (hate the sound) so I went with w1's. A single 8"" w7 with the right amp is insane. I've been in a truck with a single w7 10 and it would just about make your hair stand up on end. Once I find a center console I'll be doing this since I miss my subs so much.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I spoke to the guy who has done all my car & home audio, and showed him the picture I posted above.
He knows the guy who built that box, and said he seen that box...
I mentioned it was at SEMA, and he instantly remembered it.

It will be done this winter, as I am enjoying driving my truck right now, and don't need it in a shop for a stereo that will get no use this winter, etc.

Latest posts

Members online