Clogged block....coolant

Motostroker

Reaction score
Other options of cleaning the coolant system? I have tried over 25 full flushes( pulling plugs, revving with them out but making sure resivoir is full, etc) with VC-9 and fleet guard restore plus. Truck came in with an oil cooler job. Deltas were pretty bad at 35-45 degrees off. Brand new cooler clogged within 10 miles. Both coolers look like this!

I did flush the system twice before the job but it wasn't that bad? I change cooler, and within 10 miles find this. I guess I broke a chunk of rust loose.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398228457.612772.jpg

Trust me guys, this block is horrible. Rust out the ass. I'm trying to save it for the customer, but it's looking bad. It's one of the worst ones I've ever seen. He bought it used, and the previous owner apparently ran water through it for a LONG time. Question is that is there anything else I can do?

Gary

Reaction score
The VC9 is the best flush chemical. I pulled the MSDS sheets for it and some other brands, then showed them to a M.I.T. Phd and he told me the VC9 was the only product to use, the rest were basically snake oil.
So if the VC9 doesn't do it, nothing will except a rebuild.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
How much effort are you willing to use to keep it cheap for the customer?? I'm sure some engineering of buckets and connectors could help but make it clean enough for normal use....maybe.

I got an idea, a bit long to post here but could help. Not scientific or guaranteed in any way so PM me if you want to hear the idea.

Motostroker

Reaction score
How much effort are you willing to use to keep it cheap for the customer?? I'm sure some engineering of buckets and connectors could help but make it clean enough for normal use....maybe.

I got an idea, a bit long to post here but could help. Not scientific or guaranteed in any way so PM me if you want to hear the idea.

Just now saw this, tons of effort to save block though! Over $160 bucks of vc9 and fleet guard restore plus has been through it, constant flushing pulling block plugs, ect. My flushes included driving the truck with radiator blocked, thermostat out, to get as close as I can to 200 and keep it there for atleast an hour to break up the rust. After 30 flushes, it started getting better. I installed new oil cooler and not even within 25 miles deltas were 50+ off again. Oil cooler was so clogged ( on the coolant side) it built enough coolant psi to puke through the cap. And at one point blew off bottom radiator hose. Putting a new short block in it has gotten to be the only option at this point, he's frustrated I've had it for so long.

Btw I've looked and made some phone calls about the trucks history. 192k miles, one owner. He owned a landscape business... I called the business and they told me they have been putting water in it. I asked how long, and they said since it blew a HG at 106k miles!!!!!! Almost 100k miles of water. No wonder the trucks heads were junk.

I've rigged fittings to reverse flush the truck also through the oil cooler, and block plugs.

At this point I'm convinced it needs a block. It's horrible.

webb06

Reaction score
When you pulled the heads did you notice if the coolant passages were deteriorated from the water and rust?

Reaction score
Sounds like the LLY I just pulled out of a Kodiak. Straight water plus aluminum heads and iron block ruined both. The block is so pitted out around the water jacket that a gasket will never seal again. The bottom of the block must be filled with that crap. Could try a bulletproof oil cooler, that way you could flush it without ruining more oil coolers until it's clean.

Motostroker

Reaction score
When you pulled the heads did you notice if the coolant passages were deteriorated from the water and rust?

They looked like every other truck I have completed... I guess the rust was deeper down in the block.

Latest posts

Members online