Clogged oil cooler or lucky dumba$$

MattDavis

Reaction score
Alright guys need some guidance. Think I'm either F'd or maybe lucky.

I have a 6.4 2008 F350 that I've owned since 95,000 miles and it is now at 164,000. *** ****** and running stock mini max time since I bought it.

I've always been good about oil and fuel filters.

Where I've sucked is coolant and leaving the Ford hold in it. And making sure it's full (go ahead and ridicule).

After towing my fifth wheel last weekend I started getting Delta's 30-50 degrees.

Thought for sure oil cooler but dumbass never checked coolant levels. Checked coolant last night and put a half gallon in to fill line. After driving it this morning it needs another half gallon.

So my question is am I maybe a lucky dumbass that just needs to get the coolant levels back up and the coolant had just evaporated over the past 2.5 years. Or.... Am I F'd and that coolant is going into my oil.

No white smoke.

MattDavis

Reaction score
Or worse is my coolant going into my oil. Checked this morning after running and it was too the top of the stick but I wouldn't say it was over full.

MattDavis

Reaction score
Checked oil again after letting it sit a few hours and it's definitely within normal range and not over full.

J98

Reaction score
Check the base end of your upper radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing. Factory design was known to have issues. If this is the case, there will be drips off the bottom of your dipstick tube.

MattDavis

Reaction score
Well this idiot here may have gotten lucky. Last night I ran down the interstate 10 miles hitting EOT 230 with Delta's of 35. Ive put about a gallon and half of coolant in since. Just did the same 10 miles EOT high was 211 with Delta's of 12-14.

MattDavis

Reaction score
I've got all the stuff sitting and waiting to do the flush and change to red coolant. I've also got the sinister diesel coolant filter kit to install.

Next question is would you install the filter before flushing to catch any junk I will clean out?

webb06

Reaction score
Check for coolant leaks. Coolant doesn’t evaporate out of a closed system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattDavis

Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to look thoroughly but nothing seems to be hitting the ground. New coolant cap is on the way. Still had factory.

webb06

Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to look thoroughly but nothing seems to be hitting the ground. New coolant cap is on the way. Still had factory.

Be best to pressurize the system when it’s cold. You’ll find a leak then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online