5r110w ATF options / opinions

skevac

Reaction score
you would get the same or better system IMO
the diesel site unit filters all of the fluid that goes in to it
unless there is a pressure issue then it bypasses (i won't bore with specs)

unlike the OEM remote filter that bypasses most of the fluid

if you leave the OEM pan you still get OEM filtration

the diesel site site unit is nice if you didn't replace your coolers
and had a tranny go out

now switching to the 08++ internal pan filter is great but it's not really "Improved" is it ? it is just using another ford "MY" part where it is not specified for use

another thing maybe Mark would comment on is the apparent fact that if you do an 08+ pan and filter unless you change the cooler lines to an 08+
you have to run the TP filter in the filter manifold otherwise the fluid will not hit the coolers ( path of least resistance and all of that )

It's definitely the cheaper way to go to upgrade to the newer pan and filter. I get what you are saying by "not specified" it may not be for my truck but the 08 - 10 used the same trans with that pan and filter. If I upgrade to either setup I was planning on still running the TP filter anyway. It's there, they're not real expensive and it can't hurt having one more filter even if it doesn't filter 100% of the time. As I'm looking at it right now I haven't had one issue with the original setup. So, I'm not sure why I'm considering doing anything different as it's worked well for 115,000 miles. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

bismic

Reaction score
Here's the page right out of the owners manual. Read for yourself. Just states Mercon. Then they don't make just Mercon anymore and you can't use the SP, LV or V so what can I use without buying their $10 per quart "transfer case fluid"? What about the power steering? This is ridiculous!

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05hdwog3e.pdf

That is exactly what I said in my post (I have read and posted Ford's manual on fluids MANY times). Ford later issued a statement not to use Mercon V, which (according to Ford) would limit you to their expensive product (as you stated) - although it is only 2 qts. SyncroMax is a good option as I mentioned earlier. Probably others (and maybe even Mercon V would be ok, but since Ford said "no" I went with a non-Ford option).

Here is video about Ford's statement on Mercon V in the transfer case for you to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7gKtqkuhmU

... and Ford's Mercon V page (not what it says about transfer cases):
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...+Steering+Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid

Valvoline synthetic Mercon V is a good option for the power steering - also in an earlier post. I am sure there are quite a few synthetic Mercon V options for the power steering (or even Mercon V itself).

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
order the transfer case fluid from a sponsor like sunrise and it isn't so bad$$

i know plenty of folks who run Mercon V in the t-case but I am not one of them

I do run MERC V in the Power Steering

skevac

Reaction score
That is exactly what I said in my post (I have read and posted Ford's manual on fluids MANY times). Ford later issued a statement not to use Mercon V, which (according to Ford) would limit you to their expensive product (as you stated) - although it is only 2 qts. SyncroMax is a good option as I mentioned earlier. Probably others (and maybe even Mercon V would be ok, but since Ford said "no" I went with a non-Ford option).

Here is video about Ford's statement on Mercon V in the transfer case for you to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7gKtqkuhmU

... and Ford's Mercon V page (not what it says about transfer cases):
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...+Steering+Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid

Valvoline synthetic Mercon V is a good option for the power steering - also in an earlier post. I am sure there are quite a few synthetic Mercon V options for the power steering (or even Mercon V itself).

I wasn't calling anyone out. Just wanted to post what the actual owners manual states. I'm just frustrated at this point. ( Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP, Mercon LV Mercon V supersedes Mercon but don't use it in the tranfer case Mercon LV supersedes SP) WTF! If it weren't for the internet and these forums the average guy wouldn't even be able to keep up with all this stuff. I've spent a week researching this sh!t just to do routine maintenance on the transmission, transfer case and power steering. Seems like they do it just to screw with the average guy so they won't do it themselves or if they do they'll F it up and still bring it to the dealership to get your money. And most of the time those techs don't know what the he!! is going on either! End of rant!

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
you would get the same or better system IMO
the diesel site unit filters all of the fluid that goes in to it
unless there is a pressure issue then it bypasses (i won't bore with specs)

unlike the OEM remote filter that bypasses most of the fluid
Yes, it is better than the OEM bypass filter.

now switching to the 08++ internal pan filter is great but it's not really "Improved" is it ? it is just using another ford "MY" part where it is not specified for use
It is GREATLY improved! The 08+ filter is a finer filter than the older bypass filter. And it filters 100% of the fluid all the time.

another thing maybe Mark would comment on is the apparent fact that if you do an 08+ pan and filter unless you change the cooler lines to an 08+
you have to run the TP filter in the filter manifold otherwise the fluid will not hit the coolers ( path of least resistance and all of that )
I'm not sure about that. I think there is a restriction in the filter body, but I don't have one to look at.

Zmann

Reaction score
I almost ordered the wrong fluid for my T case Sunrise actually caught it
so thats the great thing about a dealer

and for giggles Mercon SP is not being discontinued and phased out as first anticipated
it is still the only fluid for a few ford products

Zmann

Reaction score
Yes, it is better than the OEM bypass filter.

It is GREATLY improved! The 08+ filter is a finer filter than the older bypass filter. And it filters 100% of the fluid all the time.

I'm not sure about that. I think there is a restriction in the filter body, but I don't have one to look at.

Thanks Mark K

I guess what I was trying to say is Ford didn't intend us to use the 08 pan and filter in the 07 under 5r's so I wasn't considering it an OEM upgrade

just a DIY guy modification

I think the restriction in the 03-07 cooling circuit is the TP filter and if you remove it the fluid bypasses the coolers ( I actually tested this after someone made a comment about running hot without the filter
and I just happened to be flushing a 06

with the filter out and a clear hose on the end of line cooler no fluid ran thru it / filter in fluid hit the cooler

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you all need Lubrication engineers 1150 from jimdawg185 on here in your life.. instantly took any shudder away that I was getting on a hard launch in my 6.7..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

skevac

Reaction score
you all need Lubrication engineers 1150 from jimdawg185 on here in your life.. instantly took any shudder away that I was getting on a hard launch in my 6.7..

live life full throttle

Looked it up and it doesn't meet the Ford spec for the 5R or the 6R. For Mercon or Mercon V applications. That's right from the LE 1150 product sheet. May be working good for you but isn't the recommended spec for your trans.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Looked it up and it doesn't meet the Ford spec for the 5R or the 6R. For Mercon or Mercon V applications. That's right from the LE 1150 product sheet. May be working good for you but isn't the recommended spec for your trans.
maybe it exceeds the ford spec... lol

so there is nothing out there that is better for your trans? trust me man, I won't run anything that has not been tried and tue. i once was like everyone else and wouldnt run anything that did not have the same spec . im not the only one running it..

haven't you heard? it is magic unicorn piss!

live life full throttle

Last edited:

skevac

Reaction score
maybe it exceeds the ford spec... lol

so there is nothing out there that is better for your trans? trust me man, I won't run anything that has not been tried and tue. i once was like everyone else and wouldnt run anything that did not have the same spec . im not the only one running it..

haven't you heard? it is magic unicorn piss!

live life full throttle

Do you happen to know anyone running it in a 5R ? I'm all for something better as long as it doesn't cost a fortune. Everyone that has been commenting so far hasn't mentioned anything but Motorcraft or Valvoline. I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. Just was stating what it said on their product sheet. I'm just looking to service my transmission and not create myself any issues in the process.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Do you happen to know anyone running it in a 5R ? I'm all for something better as long as it doesn't cost a fortune. Everyone that has been commenting so far hasn't mentioned anything but Motorcraft or Valvoline. I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. Just was stating what it said on their product sheet. I'm just looking to service my transmission and not create myself any issues in the process.

It's technical slate specs far exceed Motorcraft standards. The reason we don't list The current spec is because we are an ISO 36 vis oil. LV is lower. As us Dex6. At operating temp its marginal. But the spec is type spec. So we don't list it. That being said, that oil is in hundreds of 5rs, 6rs, 4rs, 48s, 47s 68s, A1000s, and lots of very high powered race trucks. Including Corsilli's 5r and Dallas Ts 6.7 Dakota (where it our performed Redline by an almost embarrassing exponentially late amount). It shouldn't really be that much better, it just happens to be because of LEs air release chemistry we use in turbine oils. A field we have lead in for 40 years. An automatic transmission is a fancy hydraulic system. So if the vis is close at op temp, and the friction coefficient is right, even a cheap 32 hydraulic oil will "work", he'll, a 5 weight engine oil would probably do ok in a pinch. But 1150 is a great value. 155 for a pail including shipping is far below its competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

see, magic unicorn piss.. lol.. and no harm in questioning.. I was the same way! still am I guess..

live life full throttle