Mechanically Injected 7.3 Trucks Info/Pictures

TurboM700

Reaction score
Out of the 4-5 set-ups I have seen in this thread they are either built for pulling or drag racing with the majority of them being pulling.

I think people need to realize how much time and cost go into these projects and once there running the mantience to keep them alive. These motors at these hp level will never be a daily driver or tow pig it just isn’t going to happen.

Jason cool thread its neat to see the different ways people get the lines into the head area.

Is there advantage to running an Inline vs V-style pump? I see Double over time has V-Style but everyone else has inline.

Mike

neverkickn

Reaction score
Troika's Setup:

troika_2010_005.jpg

This one looks like it would fit nicely in the chasis of a DD. You might even be able to keep ac if you got more creative with charger placement.

What is the oil rail plumbed up for on the hypermax setup?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
This one looks like it would fit nicely in the chasis of a DD. You might even be able to keep ac if you got more creative with charger placement.

What is the oil rail plumbed up for on the hypermax setup?

That looks to me like water injection with a nozzle spraying into every intake runner.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Pumps....

Cat V pump

2513__orig.jpg

P7100 - Needs a picture

P3000

2q1xvvd.jpg

2wr477l.jpg

6qheo4.jpg

scci79.jpg

Sigma - Needs a picture

Billet Sigma - Needs a picture (This pump is about an $18K pump just by itself....)

There are also many other ways of injecting fuel into these motors - but since they are a performance based builds primarily no one really uses them. There are A-pumps, probably some rotary pumps, it has been talked about using two 4 cylinder pumps (think 4bt P7100 pumps), etc.....

I'll come back to this post as I find pictures of the pumps.

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Injectors...

8.3 Cummins

9to29y.jpg

Komatsu - Need a picture....

I'm also sure there are some Deere and IH injectors that would fit - but don't know anything else for sure.

02BigD

Reaction score
First time I've seen Troika's setup, what is the truck used for? Cool to be able to the accessories on one.

Since the smart guy in this thread is only posting pictures, let's start the list of items to consider when planning one of these. Starting at the top of the motor, and working down;

General Questions that start the decision tree;
Desired horse power?
How many RPM's do you want to run?
Run factory accessories?
Water pump, oem or electric?
Engine oil circulation setup?
Where do you want to hang the charger(s)?
Remote Oil filter and cooler?

Top and exterior of motor;
Pump, V vs Inline
Fuel hard lines
Valve covers and CCV provision
Custom turbo(s) mount (s)

Heads;
Port and polish work
Machine work for injectors, roller rockers, studs, valves, fire rings
Hardned valve seats
Rockers
Springs
Push rods
Larger valves
Fire rings
Injectors
Studs
Custom intake(s) and runner(s)
Custom exhaust manifolds
Uppipes

Block;
OEM or CGI
Fill
Pistons and machining
Rods
Crank
Custom cam shaft
Bedplate or Girdle
Front cover
Custom oil pan and pickup

Labor items;
Where to mount all the now remote items?
Machining of the block
Balance rotating assembly
Actually putting the whole engine together
Getting in a truck and everything hooked up
Tuning the whole thing once it's together and running.

Please add whatever I missed...sure there's a plenty.

Just a thought about the pricing of one of these setups. Call Schieds or Hasley and see how much a turnkey nasty 2.6 5.9 cummins is, may be surprised by what you find out.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
First time I've seen Troika's setup, what is the truck used for? Cool to be able to the accessories on one.

Just a thought about the pricing of one of these setups. Call Schieds or Hasley and see how much a turnkey nasty 2.6 5.9 cummins is, may be surprised by what you find out.

Good idea on the list of questions! It all takes time to pull together and I figure if pictures are worth a thousand words - then I've written a book so far! LOL

Troika is a pulling truck - although I haven't heard anything about it this year.

As for the price for a turnkey Cummins....
Professionally built and engine dyno'd 2.6 engine with pump and turbo: $45,000 (Dyno'd on an engine dyno to the 1100-1150hp area)

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Stupid question, where is all of the cost wrapped up in a conversion? My naive self am looking at this thinking that any guy with access to heavy equipment/ class 8 parts and a machine shop could make this happen fairly reasonably......Where is the flaw in my logic?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Stupid question, where is all of the cost wrapped up in a conversion? My naive self am looking at this thinking that any guy with access to heavy equipment/ class 8 parts and a machine shop could make this happen fairly reasonably......Where is the flaw in my logic?

Usage and goals probably. Sure you could take the first 8 cylinder injection pump you find and install a timing belt drive on the front of the engine, pop some 8.3 injectors in the holes, and make some lines and fire it up - but then the spray pattern might be wrong, the pump is only so so for making real power if even that, the timing belt drive is finicky and possibly unreliable, etc....

Front cover and gearsets are about $5Kish. Injection pump is $5Kish, injectors are a couple K, it all just adds up in a hurry. It should be noted that I don't think any of the mechanical trucks that are currently running or have ever run were ever at the track with anything less than 1Khp.

The Hmax setup pictured above (that is their kit and all the contents) is listed for $18K. You need a motor to hold that power built on top of that.... see how quickly it adds up? Machine time and engineering time are spendy things.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Usage and goals probably. Sure you could take the first 8 cylinder injection pump you find and install a timing belt drive on the front of the engine, pop some 8.3 injectors in the holes, and make some lines and fire it up - but then the spray pattern might be wrong, the pump is only so so for making real power if even that, the timing belt drive is finicky and possibly unreliable, etc....

Front cover and gearsets are about $5Kish. Injection pump is $5Kish, injectors are a couple K, it all just adds up in a hurry. It should be noted that I don't think any of the mechanical trucks that are currently running or have ever run were ever at the track with anything less than 1Khp.

The Hmax setup pictured above (that is their kit and all the contents) is listed for $18K. You need a motor to hold that power built on top of that.... see how quickly it adds up? Machine time and engineering time are spendy things.

I see where you are coming from for the standpoint of a high HP build, I guess I am looking at it for lets say a 550-600hp build, slap an IP on time it via belt or chain and pop some 8.3 injectors in..... put a little bit of time into the 3-axis mill and a little bit more time into tuning. I am looking at the $:HP ratio compared to upgraded HPOP, custom tunes, HEUI injectors, Etc......

TurboM700

Reaction score
I see where you are coming from for the standpoint of a high HP build, I guess I am looking at it for lets say a 550-600hp build, slap an IP on time it via belt or chain and pop some 8.3 injectors in..... put a little bit of time into the 3-axis mill and a little bit more time into tuning. I am looking at the $:HP ratio compared to upgraded HPOP, custom tunes, HEUI injectors, Etc......

Chain um no. Belt yes but think of all the stress on the belt it would be.

Then you lose the easy of tuning when it comes to HEUI injectors. If you goal in 600hp out of a 7.3. Then stick with HEUI I would be willing to bet you could do a 600hp 7.3 for 2-3 grand with used parts and still drive it across the country. Cant say the same for a mechincal injected 7.3.

Now if you want the cool factor I would say go for it. I'm all for cool factors.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Now if you want the cool factor I would say go for it. I'm all for cool factors.

Bingo. "I have a mechanically injected 7.3"..... not looking to blow doors off iof anything with it necessarily, just make decent power, be reliable, and LOOK SIMPLE with the hood open.

rsieck

Reaction score

You gotta also remember Hypermax is very proud of their stuff... But then again they can make HP, especially when it comes to red tractors..

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You gotta also remember Hypermax is very proud of their stuff... But then again they can make HP, especially when it comes to red tractors..

Hmax is proud of their stuff - but if you piece together that same basic setup using anyone's parts you right at that number if not more. I actually think its a fair price for the parts and could see myself just buying the kit if I wanted the simplistic novelty of having a mechanical 7.3 without all the cost and frustration that I truly think revolves around the undertaking.

Latest posts

Members online