6.4L Excursion conversion

Wayne

Reaction score
And so it has begun...
Excursion.jpg

^^^ This is essentially the current status, and appearance of my '03 V-10 excursion, limited edition I bought almost 2 years ago with the intent to to a 6.4 conversion. I hoped to start on it a lot sooner, but time and funds went into my red '08. Now that I'm bored with that truck, it's time to start the excursion project.

Since it's my wife's daily driver, I will have to keep down time to a minimum. So here's the plan:

IMG_20140101_211310_823.jpg

IMG_20140101_211653_686.jpg

^^^Here's the project donor I bought from a friend recently, right after it got t-boned, which will be the source for the majority of the parts for the project. I expect it to be mid-late summer before I get everything done, but I plan on running the entire front clip, & drivetrain from this truck under the excursion. The frames are obviously different, and I want to have all the updates and upgrades from the newer truck, so under the cab somewhere I will graft in a rear frame section from another excursion. Before I start cutting up the excursion, I will finish the frame work, transfer the newer axle back under the newly spliced frame, connect brake lines, complete the frame electrical, build the new driveline, and wrap up whatever else I can before I get ready to set the body on. This will just be a simple splice through the windshield posts, and under the front seats. I've got some performance and reliability mods in the works for it, as well as a color change to come. I will keep this thread updated as progress continues.

co04cobra

Reaction score
We have been discussing doing one of these or a 6.7 swap into an Ex a lot the past few weeks.

Any reason your doing the whole front clip vs putting 08 cage on from firewall forward to the ex body? The frames will separate right behind the engine cross member.

It may be easier to swap the 08 front frame section on the Ex frame and not have to get another parts Ex.

I am in no way trying to tell you how to do anything, just thinking out loud.

Distance doesn't help but I have a few parts Exs if you need anything.

Looking forward to following the progress. Will be an awesome build!

Wayne

Reaction score
We have been discussing doing one of these or a 6.7 swap into an Ex a lot the past few weeks.

Any reason your doing the whole front clip vs putting 08 cage on from firewall forward to the ex body? The frames will separate right behind the engine cross member.

It may be easier to swap the 08 front frame section on the Ex frame and not have to get another parts Ex.

I am in no way trying to tell you how to do anything, just thinking out loud.

Distance doesn't help but I have a few parts Exs if you need anything.

Looking forward to following the progress. Will be an awesome build!

I have a friend with several excursion frames with a fuel tank that I can get for next to nothing, so I won't have to disable the wifemobile until the project is further along. I was planning on doing the frame section exactly where you said. They aren't a perfect match, but close right there. the '08 has more bracing on the inside of the rails, but no big deal. It's just a matter of removing rivets, cutting factory welds, and hopefully sliding the new rear frame section in. The drivetrain will be removed for mods and engine bay paint when I do this anyway, so it should be pretty easy. If for some reason, there is an unforeseen complication with grafting at the factory joint, then at least I have the option of splicing it back a little further. There are a lot of other ways I could go about doing it, but I've had it in my mind exactly how I want it done, so this is the route I'm taking. Aside from having grade 8 bolts where rivets used to be, it will hopefully look like it came from the factory that way when it's done.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Do any of those excursions your buddy has happen to have the back seat cup holder attached to the from center console?

Wayne

Reaction score
Do any of those excursions your buddy has happen to have the back seat cup holder attached to the from center console?

It wouldn't surprise me. he's done several roll over rebuilds. He's bought rolled over 4x4 diesels, and then cheaper excursions with good cabs/bodies to repair them with, so lots of left over parts. most left overs are probably from the older ('00-'01) ones, or base models, but I really haven't followed. He lives a long way from where I am now, so if you want something specific, send me a PM with details/pics of what you need, and I'll check.

Spatel23

Reaction score
very cool Wayne.

If your past projects of this nature are any indication of how this one will turn out, its going to be awesome.

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The 6.4 is with me in ND, and the excursion is in Oregon with my family. Once I'm done prepping the 6.4 here, I'll trailer it to Oregon to finish the body swap and painting.

Wayne

Reaction score
I just plan on teeing into the the existing 6.4 lines, the same basic way it's done originally, but a few different bends.

Latest posts

Members online