12 6.7 powerstroke after owning 6.7 cummins for 4 years

BigCajun

Reaction score
I bought my 2012 king ranch f250 roughly 3 years ago with 20k miles. At 21k it blew the plastic intercooler pipe. at 21,500 it did it again. at 22k the master cylinder went. at 44k the drivers side exhaust manifold cracked and sheered 2 bolts off in the head. at 56k the passenger side did the same thing. At 86k miles the high pressure fuel pump went and took the entire fuel system and come to find the passenger side exhaust manifold was leaking again and had worn a groove into the head. So new head, gaskets, complete fuel system with 10ml stroker pump and a bd 66mm turbo kit at less than 90k miles and this thing is still an absolute joke as far as reliability. I have owned the big three diesels over the years and honestly my 6.0 was a better and more reliable engine than this 6.7. I absolutely cannot wait to get as far away from it as humanly possible and go back to 5.9 or 6.7 cummins. I have addressed issue after issue with this god forsaken money pit and its still just that, a money pit that may or may not make it to wherever my destination may be. Anyone else have this trouble? Am I an idiot for expecting ford to have actually learned from the past and addressed any issues? I am just so sick of this truck at this point I would cry tears of joy if it caught fire tomorrow.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Damn that's terrible. Most of the posts I read regarding these trucks are positive with little stuff going wrong. They all have issues, some more than others. I certainly don't blame you for not thinking this truck is reliable.

My issues aren't nearly like yours, but in the past 5.5 years with my '13, I've had 2 fuel rail issues which left me stranded once 2 hours from home, water pump failed and my oil pan leaked which I replaced with a billet MPD piece.

Your issues sound like what I went through with my Cummins, which I was happy to sell! I hope your issues turn around and you like the truck again.

BigCajun

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I just haven't ever experience this many issues with any vehicle. I am currently waiting for it to get out of the shop after the cp4 failed leaving me, my wife and 4 horses stranded on the side of the road for 6 hours. I handed the shop over almost $20k to do the fuel system, heads, head studs and the BD turbo kit among a few other things and I just don't have the faith in this truck ever being a reliable cross country hauler like I need. I really hope I am wrong as I love the interior and the ride but the lack of reliability with this thing is getting a bit ridiculous. I got almost 500k miles out my 6.7 cummins hauling all around the country with nothing more than head studs, an industrial injection turbo, fass 150 and efi live with regular maintenance.

sootie

Reaction score
All issues I have seen, but not usually all on the same truck lol

Must be a lemon. These trucks are very reliable for the most part. The interior and suspension alone would be enough to keep me out of a Dodge!

6.4powerstroke!

Reaction score
Had a coolant leak from the oil cooler hose in the 30,000 I’ve owned mine. 132,000 now. Can’t see why the fuel system would go unless it was bad fuel or moisture.

F150orelse

Reaction score
Damn man! I’m sorry to hear the bad luck. I have an 11 with 132k and I’m anal about maintenance so far I’ve replace things just because I figured it would fail like my old turbo for the 15+model as well as the hpfp cp4.2 it was leaking diesel into the valley and a siezed brake caliper. It’s been paid for so whatever happens to it will get fix since I don’t want another note.

BigCajun

Reaction score
Finally got the truck back today. After the new turbo, stroker pump, injectors, heads, rods....well basically entirely new motor except for bottom end due to the shop being in it anyway. I couldn't be happier with it. Sounds nothing like a 6.7 anymore and the truck will absolutely fly even with 37" mt tires and ranch hand bumpers front and rear with a warn 16k winch. The power is absolutely amazing. I have fallen for the truck all over again despite the extreme headache it has been to get it to this point.

sleepertc

Reaction score
I’m at 51k on my 2011 6.7 powerstroke. I bought it when it had 32k. Im pretty sure everything was original. I have since drained my transmission fluid and changed filter, did the fuel filters, ******d EGR and ***, replaced all glow plugs with updated version, put on new SB intake and has a tune of course. And I drained and cleaned out my rear diff and put in new fluid.
Haven’t had any problems except a air bag sensor in the bumper get some moisture in it. I don’t haul any trailers unless I rent them, mostly have hauled dump loads, furniture, rocks. And I floor the poop out of it a lot. I couldn’t be happier really. It’s such a great running truck, I think it’s best if you can do as much maintenance and mods yourself as possible to save money. I bought the truck for $38500 and just hope it lasts 400k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
Anyone want to bet on how long it is before we see a Windows 6.7 post from the OP? A 66mm Charger,30% overs and a stroker pump on a stock long block but you want reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sootie

Reaction score
Anyone want to bet on how long it is before we see a Windows 6.7 post from the OP? A 66mm Charger,30% overs and a stroker pump on a stock long block but you want reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

he said rods but then said stock bottom end so i'm not sure which he meant.

Latest posts

Members online