Help.... please

Jr white

Reaction score
2013 6.7 powerstroke, just had mpd 64.5 budget kit installed with 2015 injection pump. Picked truck up from mechanic shop, drove maybe 5 miles on way home, never got over 45 mph, truck coolant temp went to 228 degrees. Called mechanic said bring it back.

He tells me first just air in coolant system, now tells me I have water in oil, and possibly blown head gasket...

When I drove it, might have reached 10lbs of boost. I know mechanic drove it, not sure how far or if he was wot.

doo dah

Reaction score
If you don't have a custom tune for the pump and turbo it will not run well at all. Coolant will generally end up in the oil if they did anything with e g r while replacing the turbo. Doubtful that turbo with 15 pump would blow a gasket.

Jr white

Reaction score
Custom tunes had not been downloaded yet. Laptop issues. I did not have any heat either.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Water will get in the oil when swapping turbos. The oil needs to be changed when the turbo comes off. Coolant passage goes up the middle of the block through the turbo, and is right where the oil feed and drain are.

doo dah

Reaction score
Custom tunes had not been downloaded yet. Laptop issues. I did not have any heat either.

Hard to diagnose through forums but sounds like improper install, maybe they got some lines mixed up? Has the scope performed this kind of swap before?

NathannialD

Reaction score
Hard to diagnose through forums but sounds like improper install, maybe they got some lines mixed up? Has the scope performed this kind of swap before?

Or the pedestal gasket it letting them mix somehow. Pretty straightforward install so a real tech should be able to sort it out easily

Jr white

Reaction score

Not on 6.7, but claim to have done multiple turbo swaps 6.4 and 6.0.

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
Water will get in the oil when swapping turbos. The oil needs to be changed when the turbo comes off. Coolant passage goes up the middle of the block through the turbo, and is right where the oil feed and drain are.

Or the pedestal gasket it letting them mix somehow. Pretty straightforward install so a real tech should be able to sort it out easily

Start here ^^^^
If they didn't properly drain the coolant before pulling the turbo, then a bunch of coolant went into the oil. Typical thing if they have never pulled a 6.7 turbo. Which is sounds like they are new to 6.7's since they immediately said "blown headgaskets"
And you need to get tunes soon to get the full potential of the turbo. Call us for that.

bpan

Reaction score
If they didn't drain the coolant first your probably way low on that as well. That would probably be why your temps got so high.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If they didn't drain the coolant first your probably way low on that as well. That would probably be why your temps got so high.

i'll bet the secondary resevoir is dry .

Jr white

Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say he didn't drain any coolant. On my bill, he charged me for a gallon of coolant. How much should be drained?

DieselDog

Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say he didn't drain any coolant. On my bill, he charged me for a gallon of coolant. How much should be drained?
Should have drained cooling system completely. Then install new turbo. After all parts have been swapped and installed correctly he would have to change the oil filter. Refill the cooling system using a vacuum type Radkit tool.
I'm hoping he had or has access to a workshop manual that explains everything step by step remove and install procedure. If turbo pedestal sealing surface was scratched or gasket damage during install this would also cause coolant intermix in the oil or if bolts not torqued fully can result in similar concern. If they do not have a manual I would probably take to a shop that is experienced in the 6.7L engine. Hate to see a perfectly good engine damage due to inexperienced workmanship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DieselDog

Reaction score
Their should be coolant,distilled water unless coolant is a 50/50 pre-diluted mix plus oil and filter billed out on your receipt. Even if coolant is drained there is still coolant that will drain into the crankcase it's almost impossible to remove a turbo off a 6.7 without coolant draining Into crankcase due to its design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Maybe the shop drained the coolant,saved it,refilled with same coolant,and topped it off?

bpan

Reaction score
I'd say before you do anything else, you NEED to do an oil change.

Jr white

Reaction score
Having it towed to Ford dealer tomorrow. Yall have definitely given me starting point. Already talked to mechanic, gonna change oil and coolant, start there and see what happens. Thanks all who commented.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Towed to Ford dealer???????? Why???????????

Unless you want laughed at. Raped. Then told well fix back to stock.

IMO. If you have money to go to the dealership. Get rid of the MPD and get a street max or 15 turbo upgrade. You castrated your truck by losing the variable vane.

Jr white

Reaction score
Towed to Ford dealer???????? Why???????????

Unless you want laughed at. Raped. Then told well fix back to stock.

IMO. If you have money to go to the dealership. Get rid of the MPD and get a street max or 15 turbo upgrade. You castrated your truck by losing the variable vane.

Nothing you said makes any sense. Why would Ford return my truck back to stock for water in my oil and truck running hot???

Why would me ditching mpd turbo and going to streetmax or 15 upgrade fix the oil in my coolant or truck running hot?

Troll on man, nothing you have suggested will fix my problem or is even close to helpful.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Think he's just wondering why you're taking it to the dealer when you just had an aftermarket turbo and pump installed at another shop. Why not take it back to the shop, have the oil and coolant changed, make sure the reservoirs are full, and see if that solves your issue? That would be my first step. You just paid for install of these parts, make sure the shop makes good on it.

Latest posts

Members online