Reduced Engine Power

Esoj

Reaction score
Also posted this on the FTE website to see if i could get a second opinion. I was driving my 2013 F250 6.7 at highway speeds when a message on the dash appeared that read “Reduced engine power” I quickly changed over to the emergency lane since the engine seemed to no longer have power. Truck stopped and shut off and when i tried to start it up one time it just cranked. The CEL was on already due to the problems w the DEF tank heater that i have tried many times to fix. From the cabin i got a strong diesel smell and sure enough when i stepped out there was diesel leaking from somewhere above the oil filter. I read one other post and have a guess that it might be the high pressure fuel pump. Any second opinions that back this up or say it’s something else? Any comment is appreciated, thanks

Jeff6146

Reaction score
ok first and foremost that DEF system is nothing to mess with. two options there, fix what needs to be fixed or inquire about a ****** that would ****** the DEF system all together. i’d recommend just fixing it. though people love to ****** their trucks i’ve more times than not it causes more problems than fixes anything. Next, trace the wet parts up to the problem. that big of a leak should be easy to see where it came from. if your on the road now, i’d say better just call the insurance now and 1. get off the road and 2. your deductible may take care of it all. if your in the San Antonio area i’d be happy to try and help a brother out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff6146

Reaction score
ok first and foremost that DEF system is nothing to mess with. two options there, fix what needs to be fixed or inquire about a ****** that would ****** the DEF system all together. i’d recommend just fixing it. though people love to ****** their trucks i’ve more times than not it causes more problems than fixes anything. Next, trace the wet parts up to the problem. that big of a leak should be easy to see where it came from. if your on the road now, i’d say better just call the insurance now and 1. get off the road and 2. your deductible may take care of it all. if your in the San Antonio area i’d be happy to try and help a brother out.

the stars are blocking the word D E L E T E. Not sure why it does that.

sootie

Reaction score
Find out what the codes are. Look in the valley of the engine and see if it's wet. If it is, check the control valve on the top of the hpfp. If it isn't, i bet a fuel return line cracked at the injector fitting.

Ps: That other guy saying that Deeleeting causes more problems is full of chit.

Esoj

Reaction score
The DEF code was that the reductant tank heater had a problem and I spent around $800 only to get reductant tank heater pressure low code. At that point the truck was still drive able so i let it be as i would soon ****** the truck. I will be checking to see if there are any new codes and also suspect that it is the fuel injection lines that are not metal. Will check back with the results

cappa

Reaction score
Yeah I'd also like to hear about all the problems deeleets are causing. I did the deed on mine at 20000km, now at 65000km, running the 150hp tune almost all the time, and have yet to run into these issues, would like to know what they are thou. Definitely less problems then that stupid emission system, but what do I know, please educate me

Esoj

Reaction score
Just checking back in, got a P0028 code and it reads Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low. Could i be in the clear for not having a failed high pressure fuel pump?

sootie

Reaction score
did you check the valley of the motor and see if it was full of diesel fuel?? If it is, check the valve on the top of the hpfp as well as the lines going in & coming out of the pump. If the valley is dry, remove the sounds deadening material that covers the injector lines and have a look for leaks.

Question: Does fuel leak onto the ground when the ignition is on but the engine is not running?

Esoj

Reaction score
did you check the valley of the motor and see if it was full of diesel fuel?? If it is, check the valve on the top of the hpfp as well as the lines going in & coming out of the pump. If the valley is dry, remove the sounds deadening material that covers the injector lines and have a look for leaks.

Question: Does fuel leak onto the ground when the ignition is on but the engine is not running?

Haven’t gotten a chance to check anything but the codes. When i turned the ignition to on to be able to read the code I did not see anything leak

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Would that mean a lpf line is bad?

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
Would that mean a lpf line is bad?

live life full throttle

If it leaks with the key on, its low pressure for sure as it cant push thru the hpfp.

Its rare to see high pressure lines fail. Not ruling that out though. Typically if they leak, it is a fine mist (deadly), not a big stream. If it is an injector return line, it is technically lower pressure than what the pump is putting out as it is simply the unused fuel. So it would be "low pressure" in another sense. Clear as mud? Lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If it leaks with the key on, its low pressure for sure as it cant push thru the hpfp.

Its rare to see high pressure lines fail. Not ruling that out though. Typically if they leak, it is a fine mist (deadly), not a big stream. If it is an injector return line, it is technically lower pressure than what the pump is putting out as it is simply the unused fuel. So it would be "low pressure" in another sense. Clear as mud? Lol
Yup. Got it!

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online