What type of turbo is this

Majorpecs

Reaction score
I bought a 1997 F350 with banks stickers on it. Looking under the hood the only thing I see is part of the turbo that says Banks and part saying Garrett. I'm looking to make some upgrades to the HP on this truck but I'm trying to figure out what I'm working with before I do. Looks like the downpipe is 3.5" also.

Does anyone know what Banks kit this would be from?

Also, what is the piece sticking up between the intake and turbo that has oil coming out of it? It seems to get oil everywhere.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • engine_1.jpg
    engine_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • engine_2.jpg
    engine_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 135
  • engine_3.jpg
    engine_3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 136

Swaan

Reaction score
My guess it's the stock turbo with a 1.00 banks quick spool exaust housing.

The other thing is probley a pvc catch can of sorts.

Petro

Reaction score
That's the housing that Ford should have installed from the factory. Makes them alot more responsive.

Majorpecs

Reaction score
So I assume it's okay that oil seems to be venting into the turbo? So here's my question on that turbo, what type of PSI should I expect with that housing? I have to romp on the pedal to even get 10PSI, should there be tunes that go along with it?

I want to get slightly larger injectors (baby swamps/stage 1's), convert my intake to the tymar filter and the tuning that goes along with it.

Would this turbo suffice? What about my stock fuel and hpop? I don't tow, and I'm not interested in blowing up my motor, I just want to feel some power.

There are currently 306k miles on the truck, it's a manual 5 speed and other than the banks parts, I don't think anything has ever been done to it.

79jasper

Reaction score
Thats about all youll get without tuning.
And yes, a slifght amount of oil there is normal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
I would do a compression test before adding any more power to it. It will probably be fine. But that is a lot of miles to be adding pretty big bucks to and then find out the motor is done.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I would do a compression test before adding any more power to it. It will probably be fine. But that is a lot of miles to be adding pretty big bucks to and then find out the motor is done.
Especially with all that pretty tan/brown stuff inthe intake.

live life full throttle

old man dave

Reaction score
I bought a 1997 F350 with banks stickers on it. Looking under the hood the only thing I see is part of the turbo that says Banks and part saying Garrett. I'm looking to make some upgrades to the HP on this truck but I'm trying to figure out what I'm working with before I do. Looks like the downpipe is 3.5" also.

Also, what is the piece sticking up between the intake and turbo that has oil coming out of it? It seems to get oil everywhere.

Banks downpipe diameter would be the same as the cat inlet IF that exhaust setup retains the stock cat and muffler. Also the Banks tailpipe would be 3.5".

If it was a later model Banks exhaust, then the downpipe would be 3" belled out to 4" with a 4" muffler. Banks found out that customers demanded a full 3" to 4" exhaust instead of retaining the stock cat and muffler, never mind that you could pull 400hp through the stock muffler with a cat ******.....LOL

old man dave

Reaction score

Banks downpipe diameter would be the same as the cat inlet IF that exhaust setup retains the stock cat and muffler. Also the Banks tailpipe would be 3.5".

If it was a later model Banks exhaust, then the downpipe would be 3" belled out to 4" with a 4" muffler. Banks found out that customers demanded a full 3" to 4" exhaust instead of retaining the stock cat and muffler, never mind that you could pull 400hp through the stock muffler with a cat ******.....LOL

The stock turbo with the 1.0 housing is also good for 430hp if you don't mind it being a little ugly while you do it. However, its not the best way to do it.

Majorpecs

Reaction score
Especially with all that pretty tan/brown stuff inthe intake.

live life full throttle

Which picture do you see that? I did spray down the engine with a citrus degreaser, maybe that's what you see? I was in the process of cleaning the engine when I took those pictures.

Majorpecs

Reaction score

The stock turbo with the 1.0 housing is also good for 430hp if you don't mind it being a little ugly while you do it. However, its not the best way to do it.

I'm definitely not going to add more horsepower than that, do you mean ugly as it how it looks or how it functions lol? In your opinion, what's the best way to do it?

Majorpecs

Reaction score

Is this something I can do or do I need to take it to a shop to do? What type of results am I looking for from the test?

Majorpecs

Reaction score
Okay let me recap where I'm at right now and see if you guys can poke holes in it:
1. Get compression test done - looking for 400PSI per cylinder (realistically expect between 320-380)
1a. If numbers are within 5% of each other, what is the lowest number you'd add any type of HP to the motor?

2. EGT and Boost gauges already installed
3. 4" exhaust installed - no muffler/cat

Additions:
1. Tymar exhaust - I don't think I neccesarily need this, but it will make my engine less cluttered and easier to clean without the humongous stock stuff in place
2. Baby swamps injectors
3. Tuning

Remaining questions:
1. Do I need to upgrade fuel system or HPOP to go to a mild street tune? 300-350HP?
2. I have a 5 speed, would I need an upgraded clutch with the added power?
3. Would these upgrades require an intercooler?

gwunter

Reaction score
Remaining questions: answers.

1. More than likey not, depending on current wear condition.
2. Assuming current is high mileage, it wouldnt be a bad idea to upgrade duringing injector upgrade.
3. Not necessarily but an IC wont hurt anything

mandkole

Reaction score
Some more suggestions from a few years ago with my first PSD

- On the compression, you want even more than ultimate pressure. Having them all around 360 within 5% of each other would be very good for the mileage.

- You should get 310-320ish on stock parts (good turbo, good oil pump, good fuel pump, etc) with babies, but you'll have to run them hard.. It will run much better with steady 60psi fuel pressure (but you wont get that with stock pump).

-a good replacement clutch should be fine. I made 335 with ACs on a tired Luk kit

-While the injectors are out, I'd check the seal/re-seal on the intakes, boots, uppipes, turbo to y oring, etc. If you're not keeping the pressure in, you're hurting power.

-Get a scan gauge or OBD scan tool; its one of the first things any new PSD owner should have.

Have fun!

Majorpecs

Reaction score
Some more suggestions from a few years ago with my first PSD

- On the compression, you want even more than ultimate pressure. Having them all around 360 within 5% of each other would be very good for the mileage.

- You should get 310-320ish on stock parts (good turbo, good oil pump, good fuel pump, etc) with babies, but you'll have to run them hard.. It will run much better with steady 60psi fuel pressure (but you wont get that with stock pump).

-a good replacement clutch should be fine. I made 335 with ACs on a tired Luk kit

-While the injectors are out, I'd check the seal/re-seal on the intakes, boots, uppipes, turbo to y oring, etc. If you're not keeping the pressure in, you're hurting power.

-Get a scan gauge or OBD scan tool; its one of the first things any new PSD owner should have.

Have fun!
Thanks for taking time to answer my questions as comprehensively as you did, its very much appreciated.