Fuel Bowl Heater

4cstr

Reaction score
I finally had the fuel bowl heater element break on me today. Boy...when it shorted out...the truck came to an immediate halt.

Anyway...can the element be re-soldered together...or can you just buy a new element? If so...anybody have the part number?

Since I live up here in SoDak...I would kinda like to replace it. Right now I removed it just so I could get the truck back up and running...but like I mentioned...I would like to put it back.

Thanks

Tom S

Reaction score
Dorman now makes those as well. I am thinking your early 99 might have thin wire type lke the OBS trucks do. I converted mine to the thick element kind like the later trucks do when I had a fuel bowl.

Arisley

Reaction score
Guzzle has the thick one (looks like an oven heater element), fits perfect. You will not notice the difference at all with it out though.

4cstr

Reaction score
Dorman now makes those as well. I am thinking your early 99 might have thin wire type lke the OBS trucks do. I converted mine to the thick element kind like the later trucks do when I had a fuel bowl.

Yep...just had a thin bare wire making about 3/4 circle on the filter plate. Its amazing how Ford wants $100+ for that stinking little thing.

4cstr

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Surfed a local autoparts place online, found the Dorman one...got another $10 off for ordering it online...and went out the door for $36 and change. Much thicker than the little wire that broke.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
the thin wire one is the Ford one.
the thick wire is the International style and is also the aftermarket

Tom S

Reaction score
I think the thin wire is a OBS and 99 part and thick was the later trucks.

Arisley

Reaction score
Tom is correct. Late 99 and up had the thick heater. Early 99 and below had the thin wire. If you go to International, all they carry now are the thinck ones.

4cstr

Reaction score
I got it installed today, but after looking at the Dorman site...I think I got it installed upside down. I had it installed right side up...but the wire was bent so much I was afraid that it it would come off of the tab on the side of the bowl. Looks like another trip on top of the motor coming up. .

Arisley

Reaction score
The fuel bowl comes off really easily. Remove the lines and two bolts through the HPOP reservoir. Oil won't come out of the reservoir.

4cstr

Reaction score
I don't need to remove the fuel bowl...I just need to drain it again...then remove the heater, flip right side up, reinstall and fill the bowl up.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I don't need to remove the fuel bowl...I just need to drain it again...then remove the heater, flip right side up, reinstall and fill the bowl up.

magnetic screwdriver and long needle-nose pliers and you don't even need to do that..