Need help getting started on wvo set up.

little luke

Reaction score
I hate to ask to be spoon fed on this topic, but I need help getting started. Here's my situation, I own a restaurant and collect anywhere from 20-25 gallons of oil a week. I have a grease dumper out back, but the company is bad about not coming to empty the dumpster, and its even more difficult to get our money. I was building a heater for a my shop to burn the wvo, but my insurance company caught wind and threatened to drop my coverage. So im thinking about using it for fuel. I use 15-20 gallons of fuel a week normally. I know im being vague but I've been reading on this for who knows how long and I can't ever figure out what all I need to do to get started. I typically build what ever I can and would like to stay cost efficient with the whole thing. Also, im setting on close to 300gallons as of tommorrow(not including what's in the dumpster), so ive got plenty to play with. Thank you

little luke

Reaction score
Ive been thinking and im not sure if wvo will benefit me. Most of my trips are 15 miles. Unless I put an electric heating element in the wvo tank to plug in while I am at work or home. I may be leaning more towards biodiesel now.

genie144

Reaction score
If your trips are short, SVO will likely not yield much for you. Most SVO systems, you need to start and stop on diesel. Unless you pre-warm your truck, you will never get to temperature for the switch.

Making bio-diesel is a much different animal and there are all kinds of forums and experts (not on this forum) that can steer you in the correct direction.

Sam

Mdub707

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like WVO will be of any use to you, due to your short trips. If you're having problems getting rid of it, and it's good clean oil, put it on craigslist, you'll get a bio guy or WVO guy there to pick it up regularly!

little luke

Reaction score
They finally came and emptied the container. Idk why buy making biodiesel just doesn't seem as appealing to me as wvo. I may just see what the guidelines are that the insurance company are wanting me to follow and just burn this stuff to heat my shop. All I really know is they want it moved 25' from my shop. Thanks for the reply's

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.