Which Truck

JRLott

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a tight ass too, so I was trying to save him a few Federal Reserve Notes. Fox will definitely be on my next set of shocks.

I thought I had read 37s would fit, but figured he needs every inch he can get for the 5th wheel. My bed kissed one at stock height & tires.

doo dah

Reaction score
Don got yer thexy pannies in a bunch you thexy tall stu...yeah ok, sorry, but 5'9" can't be considered tall.

Yes, 3-4K to make it useable. Sell the crap you take off on Craigslist or flea bay. List it on here too. That'll help cheapen it up some. The Carli suspension will make you wonder why you wasted the money on the RC for aesthetics. Even if you throw the crap in the dumpster, you're still at least $6k cheaper than another truck, and probably closer to 10k cheaper. Then you get to pay insurance on the extra pickup all year after paying the State of Texas their percentage. Pick up some platinum rims for not more than $800, some 295/65R20 tires (for high load rating and they are basically 35x11.5) for 1600, Carli front leveling kit for $910, rear Bilstien shocks for 160, and OUO or PMF traction bars for $850-$1200. That's $4600, if you don't need the adjustable trac bar you can knock about $345 off that, but then you get to sell your current lift, rims, and tires. I've absolutely no idea what they are worth, but if you can get 1600 for all of it, you're at 3k. No way in hell you can buy and maintain a second vehicle for that. A second truck will cost you at least that assuming you keep it 5 years and sell it for what you paid....that's if it doesn't break.

OBS - old body style.

Certainly do what you want. If that's keeping your 37s and buying another truck, go for it. I just find it a bit silly to pull with a lower powered, higher mileage, older likely less reliable truck, than the one that fits the keys currently in your pocket.

LOL, giving you a little razz, you've always been helpful.
I am going to put the 37s on my son's Titan and take the lift off of mine. I like the idea of Carli leveling springs an a stock block in the back plus I may want to keep the 4 link on the front I have now. May sell the wheels and get KRs but not sure. The FA in me says make it cheap and paying 10-15k for a truck that may need another 6-9k in work don't make sense after all the $$$ I have in my truck already. I appreciate you all giving me your input as it helps me take a step back and realize my truck will be a hell of a lot faster with 33s than 37s! :redspotdance:

Jomax

Reaction score
LOL, giving you a little razz, you've always been helpful.

I am going to put the 37s on my son's Titan and take the lift off of mine. I like the idea of Carli leveling springs an a stock block in the back plus I may want to keep the 4 link on the front I have now. May sell the wheels and get KRs but not sure. The FA in me says make it cheap and paying 10-15k for a truck that may need another 6-9k in work don't make sense after all the $$$ I have in my truck already. I appreciate you all giving me your input as it helps me take a step back and realize my truck will be a hell of a lot faster with 33s than 37s! :redspotdance:

Glad you're staying with your truck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doo dah

Reaction score
Found someone who wants to swap everything over. He gets my lift, wheels, and tires; I get his factory suspension, wheels, and tires and $1,600. Too cheap but the guy is willing to do the complete swap so I'll be back to a roller skate in a couple weeks. I'll youtube the massive burnout once everything is swapped. Never burned out in the 37s........couldn't bring myself to take off any tread on the $450 dollar a piece tires!

smcox1

Reaction score
4" lift cut out fender flares. 1.5" lift on the 5th wheel. My 5th wheel does not sit level right now when I am hooked up to the shop truck. I have about 2.25"-2.75" from bed rail to bottom of 5th wheel base. It is close and I do have to pay attention to where I go to avoid dips tight inclined turns. I am by no means saying this is the perfect setup. Just and alternative to what the OP was wanting. I am unsure of the height of my bed rail. I will confirm when I am at the truck. Shop truck is a 2006.

How can you go anywhere with that kind of clearance? I know I couldn't leave my driveway with that without destroying the bed rail. I have a stock height truck 32' fifth wheel with about 6" clearance and there's a dip out of my driveway to the road and I almost creamed the bed rail but thank god I was paying attention and I was able to backup and make a wider turn to miss the dip.

Op you'll be happy with your decision. No need in maintaining an old truck. However I think your truck could fit under a new toy hauler and you would have enough clearance those things are tall. I've seen plenty of lifted trucks pulling fw and apparently they don't have any issues. Personally I don't know why one would use a lifted truck on 35+ tires as a tow rig just doesn't seem right. I am surprised the dealer told you that you couldn't pull it because I have seen some crazy ass big campers being pulled by some small vehicles coming out of my local dealer, anything to make a sale I guess.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
How can you go anywhere with that kind of clearance? I know I couldn't leave my driveway with that without destroying the bed rail. I have a stock height truck 32' fifth wheel with about 6" clearance and there's a dip out of my driveway to the road and I almost creamed the bed rail but thank god I was paying attention and I was able to backup and make a wider turn to miss the dip.

Op you'll be happy with your decision. No need in maintaining an old truck. However I think your truck could fit under a new toy hauler and you would have enough clearance those things are tall. I've seen plenty of lifted trucks pulling fw and apparently they don't have any issues. Personally I don't know why one would use a lifted truck on 35+ tires as a tow rig just doesn't seem right. I am surprised the dealer told you that you couldn't pull it because I have seen some crazy ass big campers being pulled by some small vehicles coming out of my local dealer, anything to make a sale I guess.

I creamed my brand new truck with 5.5in of clearance.. I now have a nice crease to remind me everyday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doo dah

Reaction score
I found someone to swap out with me so it will be going down this Saturday (literally). I am waiting for my PMF bars and some longer u bolts to fit the overload springs to finish it out so I can pick up the new fiver. We got an Open Range 376FBH, 42' long and 12k pounds so likely will have factory size 275s for tires.

smcox1

Reaction score
Open range trailers are pretty nice. Did you get one with a side porch?

doo dah

Reaction score
No. Looked at it but the floor plan was not to our liking. Also looked at a Montana that had a porch off the rear of the trailer but again floor plan was not to our liking. The one we got has a back bedroom and a bunkroom in front, almost like a den. It is a separate room with 2 foldout couches, a big TV and a fridge. Super nice and we got a great deal on a 2017.

smcox1

Reaction score
Nice I had a 359 FKS travel trailer that was 40' with the porch coming off the front slide. Definitely a nice camper but just way too big for a bumper pull.

doo dah

Reaction score
low rider!

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.