Converting long bed to short bed??

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a long bed 6.4 DIRT cheap, but I wanted a short bed. Has a long to short bed conversion been done before?? If so, how hard is it really to do?? And what is an average cost to have somebody else do it??

JMart

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a long bed 6.4 DIRT cheap, but I wanted a short bed. Has a long to short bed conversion been done before?? If so, how hard is it really to do?? And what is an average cost to have somebody else do it??

Search for some reg cab short bed trucks, they have all been done that way. If you paid someone to do it, you could probably get it done for $4k would be my guess. I know G Racing did Elmo's conversion. It would be easier to do it on a cc truck, since all the parts fit. I did my own reg cab and was into it for about $1200. A few different variable that could change the cost like if you get a bed that matches or if it has to be painted.

G Racing

Reaction score
It's not that bad to do. If it's a 4x4 you will have to watch the stock fuel tank size. The smaller 26 gallon tanks will fit. Shortening the brake lines and fuel lines. Getting the frame straight and square. Getting the drive shaft cut to length.

ODAWG714

Reaction score
As g said it.
It's pretty easy. I leveled the truck frame with floor jacks.
Then measured the long bed and short bed.
Shortened the frame 16.5 inches.
Shortened the drive shaft 16.5 inches
Shortened the brake lines etc.
you can do it by your self or an extra hand will be very helpful. Just be patient and square everything!