HEADLIGHT UPGRADES.....which?

Reaction score
Noticed the headlights getting dimmer than ever and noticed water in one. Has been on the list for a long time, but I have been waiting to see new developments. Here are my goals:
Not radically change the appearance of the truck.
Have improved light output, but accurate....not cause issues with other drivers.
DOT legal optional if above is met.
Reliable: I'm planning a road trip to Alaska in this truck so no one off weird unreliable junk. Something I can carry a spare for, or replace with stock. This will be partly mitigated by having quality driving and fog lights that can fill in if a regular headlight is out.
Interference: Some have had issues with HID's causing shutdowns and glitches.

Reaction score
So here are the options I have considered:
New stock style headlights with upgraded incandescent bulbs and a relay harness giving improved voltage to bulbs. Likely small improvement except the new lenses will be better.
New DEPO brand crystal clear headlights with upgraded incandescent bulbs and a relay harness giving improved voltage to bulbs. Likely small improvement over stock, some say the crystal headlight are an improvement it self, or was that just because they are new?
New DEPO crystal clear headlights with retro LED bulbs. If so which ones are proven? Fans? Heatsinks?
How is the pattern, courtesy to other drivers, and light output? Reliability at least as good as incandescent?
New DEPO crystal clear headlights with Morimoto HID projectors retrofitted. Here is a write up: Max light output for sure, but reliable? Interference issues?
Courtesy to other drivers?
Anzo complete replacements with halogen projectors. Kida of violates the not changing appearance rule. Have spoken to one owner that was happy. Seems kind of cheap. Performance? Reliability? Output?
Spec-D comlete replacement with HID . Just too goofy looking.......May be the best bolt on not sure about quality, light quality, reliability etc.
My wild rogue plan? Get new Depo housings, dremel out the back and install a Truck Light or JW Speaker 4x6 LED retrofit sealed beam headlight into the back of the housing. Aiming would be something to worry about and being sure it is sealed. Looks like it could work. Get the proven, reliable sealed beam headlight installed and aiming gear still works.
Please comment, add ideas or experience. Thanks!

psduser1

Reaction score
I have a set of retro's legs in my 2000, with a decent set of 05 hd lens.
Honestly not real impressed. The color/light is nice, but not substantially better output. Price point was decent, but the sylvanias are half the price and 3/4 s the light output.

Reaction score
Putting some serious thought into this idea: Get new Depo housings, dremel out the back and install a Truck Light or JW Speaker 4x6 LED retrofit sealed beam headlight into the back of the housing. Aiming would be something to worry about and being sure it is sealed. Looks like it could work. Get the proven, reliable sealed beam headlight installed and aiming gear still works. About $350 for the headlights.

iowacornfarmer

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would buy the LED lights, then Dremel out your factory housings and see how it good it will work. Then do the new housings. If it totally back fires you can just install the new housings with new bulbs and it will still be an improvement.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Buy new OEM headlight capsules, put better bulbs in and get yourself a harness that puts direct battery voltage to the bulbs and call it a day.

I tried all the Chinese headlight capsules and they all suck. Do you really think that the Chinese engineered the correct angle of the reflectors inside the housing to properly aim the light beam????....I went with above^^^^

Billy T.
[email protected]

Strokersace

Reaction score
Billy, you're right about the chinese-made housings. However I have had very good luck with the light housings that are made in Taiwan. Look for the country of origin for manufacturer before I buy any light assemblies anymore.

old man dave

Reaction score
I used some clear headlights I bought off of ebay years ago and they lasted about 12 years. They stayed clear but the housings eventually split along the seams. Seemed to focus the light fairly well. Also used Sylvania Silver Star Ultras for bulbs. Originally used the plain Silver Stars but they only lasted 1500 hours or so over 3 pairs. The Ultras lasted longer but nowhere as long as stock bulbs. Lighting was better with the Sylvanias compared to stock. Also used a BriteBox, which is a plug-in headlight relay/harness. A replacement relay/harness probably would have worked better, particularly if you use #10 or 12 wire.

I use aux lights for the heavy duty work.

Attempted to convert the housings to projectors but after a hassle with a sponsor over parts that didn't fit, I gave up.

Reaction score
GNXTC2: Looking at all the chatter for the past 3 nights about the quality of any non oem headlight housings I agree with you.

OLNMANDAVE: Do you recall what brand the clear housings were. Given thetime frame I would guess DEPO.

Here is my curent idea. The top line DOT LED replacement versions of 4x6 and 5x7 sealed beam headlights have been out for some time and are well proven. Wish it was an 86, drop in 2 JW Speaker or Trucklite headlights and you are done, 200% better light no issues.

Since we have shaped composite headlights, there is no sealed beam option and all of the LED and HID retrofits are suspect to say the least.

So what if JWS or Trucklite sealed beams could be made to work?

My rough plan it to buy new clear lense replacement aftermrket OBS headlight assemblies. Then machine an "adaptor" to mount the sealed beams in the back of the OBS housings after cutting the back of the reflector and bulb holder out. Yes a lot of care would be needed. Thinking of a jig to determine the neutral aim of the oem assembly and then the jig would be used to "machine" off the back of the housing at the correct angle so the new light assembly would have the same neutral aim point. Thinking with LED sealed beams and parts may have $1,000 in these. Worth it to me. Just want to be sure it will work before pulling the trigger.

old man dave

Reaction score
The ones I have are DEPOs for 92-96 Bronco-F-150.

The BriteBox switches on both lows and highs when high beams are selected but doesn't use larger gauge wire. I'm going to rewire my own harness using a relay, larger wire and a diode and have the combined low/high feature. The combined low/highs are the same as the flashing function of the multi-function switch.

A long time ago, I used round Cibie Z-Beam headlights. They had a flat topped beam that had a step up on the passenger side to light up the road without blinding the oncoming driver. Wish they still made them.

I would invest in some serious Aux lights since they outperform headlights any day. I have Cibie 275 100w 6x7 rectangular halogen fog lights that work great. Only problem is they are old halogen technology, suck a lot of juice and no longer made.

Last edited:

thatdude

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I've been hitting Tony up on facebook. That seem to work fine for my lights. Him or Cary are both pretty good options.

old man dave

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=92-96+Bronco+F-150+headlight+set&_osacat=6000&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X92-96+Bronco+F-150+headlight+.TRS0&_nkw=92-96+Bronco+F-150+headlight+&_sacat=6000

This listing has 875 items for all kinds of 92-96 Bronco- F-150 headlights.

I bought them years ago and they were advertised as crystal clears without a brand name. DEPO is molded into the lower edge of the head light.

I see several sets of "crystal clears" on ebay but have no idea if they are the same brand. Do a lookup for 92-96 Bronco-F-150 headlight sets and there are several types including HID, LED and clears listed with and without Day Time Running LED lights.

smcox1

Reaction score
Putting some serious thought into this idea: Get new Depo housings, dremel out the back and install a Truck Light or JW Speaker 4x6 LED retrofit sealed beam headlight into the back of the housing. Aiming would be something to worry about and being sure it is sealed. Looks like it could work. Get the proven, reliable sealed beam headlight installed and aiming gear still works. About $350 for the headlights.

I know this is a few months old but I made the headlights you described and have been using them for the past three years or so and they've been awesome. I used the sealed beams from oracle though.
temporary_zpstgf74qza.jpg

3446BAB0-A8C1-48DB-A3A8-DDBB7087F3DE_zpsdsmsi88a.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, that is prety much exactly what i was thinking. 4x6 LED headlights of quality are hard to come by but I think it is worth it! JW Speaker doesnt make a 4x6 with high and low beam. But several others do. As an automotive safety professional I can't run anything not DOT approved. However there are several choices in DOY approved LED to adapt. Any chance you have any more photos or details on how you adapted them? Did you fasten the lights to the original (Or aftermarket) headlight assemblies or did you use steel headlight buckets an mount them to the header panel and turn the old headlight housings into trim?

Latest posts

Members online