Turbo decision

7.3obs

Reaction score
So I've taken 7 years to get my truck looking good to MY likings (95 f250) It was a rust bucket. Now it's parked during the winter and I have a bts sitting in a crate tuned for 600-650 and a set of stealth twins. Also a melling loop in the box. I've got a motor (1997) on the engine stand waiting to be built. I'm not doing rods...yet. With that being said I need some insight of what turbo to run. I'm torn between a s468 and a s472sxe from irate. I would like to go with 300/200's or 350/200's thinking about pis inejectors. Yes I know "the rods are going to window the block" so who's tuning? Tyrant "Cale from bts" I've heard is the man to go to for that.

I plan to run competition beehive valve springs also. Curious to hear from the guys that have done high hp 7.3's and I want to know what they wish they would've done different and what has worked for you guys running a stock bottom end. I know it's a gamble. I just want a fun truck to take to the track or once and awhile truck pulls. Other than that the trucks a weekend warrior. If I blow the motor I park it and go pick up the forged rod motor down the road for 500$ and swap it the next weekend. Also who's complete fuel system to go with. Fuel lab pump or run dual super duty pumps? I'm going to ****** the front tank and run a 35 gallon rear tank with a sump and 5/8 line. I want full 60 psi to these injectors!

With all that said I plan to order the turbo and injectors end of this month! Steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
Cant go wrong with sxe line. Just my $.2

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DieselJpower

Reaction score
They do seem like a nice turbo! Will 300/200's be too small for a s472sxe?

My 472 just showed up today ! Will be paired with my PIS 3/2's and I anticipate it to be a great combo. I spoke with a member who is running one with 275/200's and he said it's awesome, Close to 60lbs of boost.

4758.jpg

7.3obs

Reaction score
That is a gorgeous turbo. Think I'll go with the 72. Couple more 100 from irate but I think it'll be worth it and the rods will be happier!

7.3obs

Reaction score
Yes sir, but he had to have it drop shipped from a borg dealer in FL. Apparently they are in short supply right now, might want to call and ask and see if you need to order sooner before later to have one built for later this month.

I'm no rush really. A lot of other stuff to do to the truck. Drop intercooler in, change dual tanks, mount fuel pumps list goes on! Irate seems like a great business to go through. Who's tuning are you going to use?

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I'm no rush really. A lot of other stuff to do to the truck. Drop intercooler in, change dual tanks, mount fuel pumps list goes on! Irate seems like a great business to go through. Who's tuning are you going to use?

I have some from dyno proven, some from G-head. Currently running a 38r and it's definitely strong , but I don't know what top end power is all about yet..

Reaction score
Ive got a 472sxe itching to go on. Just waiting on my 300/200s to show up. Gonna be running dans tunes

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

7.3obs

Reaction score
I wonder how streetable the s472sxe will be. I may also tow from time to time with this truck. Curious to hear how it runs for you guys when you get them installed!

Reaction score
Mine should be all buttoned up by the end of the weekend. Ill gladly let you know

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Can't wait to hear about it!!

Dieseljpower, time for bts? :poke:

Haa, if I had 4 months to wait maybe. I'm contemplating between a swamps built billet, a John Wood street, or a Chris Garrett of A1 unit. I do feel obligated to get a proven setup and go overkill this time as 6-650 hp is gonna be heavy on a trans that hasn't had the failure points properly addressed.

The part that really sucks is that after this trans had to come out twice prior to this failure, rental cars, labor, fluid, coolers, broken billet flexplate, better TC, etc. I could have bought 2 BTS's Literally :doh:

Oh and I forgot, my trans was so happy today that it decided it didn't want to go forward at all. So I got to drive 2 miles home in reverse LOL

Last edited:

7.3obs

Reaction score
Haa, if I had 4 months to wait maybe. I'm contemplating between a swamps built billet, a John Wood street, or a Chris Garrett of A1 unit. I do feel obligated to get a proven setup and go overkill this time as 6-650 hp is gonna be heavy on a trans that hasn't had the failure points properly addressed.

The part that really sucks is that after this trans had to come out twice prior to this failure, rental cars, labor, fluid, coolers, broken billet flexplate, better TC, etc. I could have bought 2 BTS's Literally :doh:

It's worth the wait I think. I bought mine used and installed it. Front pump seal and busting was bad. Had a shop replace both and it still leaked. I pulled it again and sent it to Brian. I had to pay for a new pump. But he rebuild the whole damn thing, tuned it for 600 and gave me a new torque converter at no cost. It's in a crate right now. When the motors done I feel it's going to be a mean shifting transmission like everybody else's has been! Hopefully!

DieselJpower

Reaction score
It's worth the wait I think. I bought mine used and installed it. Front pump seal and busting was bad. Had a shop replace both and it still leaked. I pulled it again and sent it to Brian. I had to pay for a new pump. But he rebuild the whole damn thing, tuned it for 600 and gave me a new torque converter at no cost. It's in a crate right now. When the motors done I feel it's going to be a mean shifting transmission like everybody else's has been! Hopefully!

He definitely knows his stuff, that's for sure. I'm sure yours will be stout. Man though, 4 months is rough. Hard to do my farm work in the audi...

I'll also be on the prowl for a used unit from one of the big name builders if I can find a good deal.

Reaction score
Ran into some icp/ipr issues with the truck. Hopefully get those worked out this week.

Latest posts

Members online