Miss and tick after head job

Oh-ate6.4PSD

Reaction score
Well here it goes. I bought a studded 2005 excursion 6.0 161xxxmi about 6 months ago. Week after i found oil in coolant. Changed alot of orings, oil cooler, dummy plugs, stand pipes, all rubber hoses, waterpump, thermostat (which wasnt there in the first place) and ******d the egr cooler that was blocked off. Flushed 7-8 times over 2-3 weeks. Kept getting nasty water out, found it was diesel in coolant.
Researched and saved $. Diagnosis cracked head in #5 injector cup. Tore down and since i was in for the win, i changed alot of orings again, both heads with heavier springs and steel orings, black diamond gaskets, all 16 push rods, all 16 lifters, all rocker arms and clips, 6.4 banjos, exhaust manifold gaskets, re oring'd injectors and cleaned tips. I feel like there is more but cant think of what else i changed, moving on.
Put back together excited, cranked primed fuel and oil. Once running has miss, bad diesely white smoke(not bad now but noticeable to the nose), #4 contribution codes and was a loud tick/tap (now a medium tick/tap). Ran a few min cleared codes started again. Using my laptop and AE ran contribution test. Not really knowing what the numbers mean, idle cold or warm most cylinders are -50ish, #4 is +150ish and #5 sometimes jumps up with #4. I think #5 is just showing #4s loss carrying over to the next cylinder to fire.
Miss, code, and tap still there. Tap being my greatest concern, i pulled driver side valve cover and oil rail first where i thought the noise was coming from. Did not pull any parts but everything looked visually good and felt nice and tight. Went to the pass side, it dittos driver side. While i was there i swapped #2 and #4 injectors to see what happens. Reassembled and same results. Miss, tap, and #4 contribution code still there.
I have factory manuals and when i get back home im going to test the injector harness from #4 plug to the ficm plug. Any tips in the direction i should go? Ive heard new hydraulic lifters have to "pump up" if ran it for 45 min or so since rebuild, and soaked the lifters in oil pre assembly.

Ps when pulled valve covers found some white stuff i think water in the oil. Plan on new oil again when i get back. Also i can hear i strange noise from the tail pipe i think a thump if i remember correctly.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would guess you didnt get a push rod fully seated in the lifter. Bump it over with the valve cover off and see if both rocker arms are moving the same on #4

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah it will, if you crank it. If you just give it small bumps, like trying to unbolt the torque converter, it wont spin enough to blow oil out.

Oh-ate6.4PSD

Reaction score
Well.... i did miss the bullseye on #4 exhaust which hung open and bent push rod. Changed the push rod, reassembled. Slight miss, #4 contribution code, but no abnormal noises. I think i got 2 bent exhaust valves.

Today im ordering a new head gasket, a push rod, and 2 exhaust valves. Im looking for 1 18mm black diamond gasket if anyone knows who sells singles.
On the exhaust valves, (assuming my seats are good and i didnt fubar my #4 piston) can i just lap these valves and roll or do i need to look for a head shop?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try driving it, see if it clears up. If it is slight, it may clear up. Did you check the rocker arm for any damage? And did you make sure the bridge was fully seated on both valves?

Oh-ate6.4PSD

Reaction score
#4 contribution code is still present. smokes, and still has a slight miss.
The tapping noise went away when i removed the bent push rod and installed a old one. I am assuming my valves are bent from being hung open while the push rod wasnt seated in the lifter.
Ive never heard of a valve straitening out. Thats why im askin if your f'n with me.
Im lookin at 1 new head gasket, 1 new push rod, and 2 new exhaust valves hopefully. I just dont wanna mess my new head or valve seats up, or damage a piston and have do a full rebuild

thewrubelator

Reaction score
If it is hard missing then **** it take it apart. My valves were sticking, not bent, which was giving it a nice tick and contribution code. Drove the dog **** out of it for a bit and its been fine ever since, so about 9k miles. Get a piston on standby as well.

Reaction score
#4 contribution code is still present. smokes, and still has a slight miss.
The tapping noise went away when i removed the bent push rod and installed a old one. I am assuming my valves are bent from being hung open while the push rod wasnt seated in the lifter.
Ive never heard of a valve straitening out. Thats why im askin if your f'n with me.
Im lookin at 1 new head gasket, 1 new push rod, and 2 new exhaust valves hopefully. I just dont wanna mess my new head or valve seats up, or damage a piston and have do a full rebuild

Jump the start wire with key off and see if the engine sounds even spinning over. Redneck cylinder balance test.

If it's even pull the #4 injector and check the copper washer to make sure it is seated. I've had countless sets of heads with junk stuck in the bolt hole for the injector that stops it from tightening down all the way.

If that's good, with the injector out roll the motor around until is on TDC compression for cylinder 4 (valves closed, piston at TDC, easy to verify with injector out and small screw driver in injector hole to watch piston movement). Then use a rubber tip on a blow gun and pressurize the cylinder and listen for air out of the valves. No air, means the engine is mechanically fine and you probably have a bad injector/injector wiring.

These engines have some tough valves, every time I've seen someone miss the lifter it bends and push rod and the valves are fine.

Reaction score
If it is hard missing then **** it take it apart. My valves were sticking, not bent, which was giving it a nice tick and contribution code. Drove the dog **** out of it for a bit and its been fine ever since, so about 9k miles. Get a piston on standby as well.

One of your valves was smoked from the bolt that decided it wanted in your intake haha.

Oh-ate6.4PSD

Reaction score
Tried the test drive seal method, no good. Misses and smokes like buting oil. Can any decently good machine shop change the valves, seats, and seals on these type heads? Any special questions i need to ask?

Latest posts

Members online