Upgrade 2012 CAC tube to the 2017 design?

bradschauf

Reaction score
My brother in law has a 2012 PS and recently blew the charged air cooler tube on intake side (intercooler tube). It's a very simple fix once you have the new part.

However having seen the new design of this part on the 2017 PS, I am wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to the new design on my 2012 PS (we have basically the same truck).

Looks like the 2012 would need a longer sensor wire as Ford moved it fro the bottom to the top part of the tube. They also updated the design to use a longer and more robust looking hose and away from the hard plastic connectors that get brittle and go boom.

Has anyone done this or think it might work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
My brother in law has a 2012 PS and recently blew the charged air cooler tube on intake side (intercooler tube). It's a very simple fix once you have the new part.

However having seen the new design of this part on the 2017 PS, I am wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to the new design on my 2012 PS (we have basically the same truck).

Looks like the 2012 would need a longer sensor wire as Ford moved it fro the bottom to the top part of the tube. They also updated the design to use a longer and more robust looking hose and away from the hard plastic connectors that get brittle and go boom.

Has anyone done this or think it might work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No need to do that just get a H&S coldside kit and it will never blow again.

JHTX

Reaction score
1b001335886c7ab73dc2acd4622b2f3d.jpg

Just installed the kit mentioned above this weekend. Great kit just a PITA to get it to line up. Hint Windex is your friend. Same problem blew CAC at throttle body valve. H&S makes one that removes throttle body valve and one that's OEM replacement. Got mine from NL.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Found the part here:
https://hs-motorsports.com/11-16-ford-6-7l-intercooler-upgrade-kit.html

This requires a tuning device and my truck currently is stock.

Are you aware of options that do not require a tune? I found this option - any opinions or has anyone tried this?

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-6-7l-powerstroke-cold-side-intercooler-pipe-boot-kit-11.html

Yes H&S does have a version that doesn't require tuning for bone stock trucks.

Get with Mike @ No Limit (BIGRPOWR) on here he can get you setup.

http://nolimitfabrication.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_71&product_id=272

JHTX

Reaction score
Yes the one on my truck is OEM replacement. Got it from NL. Kept the throttle body since I may want to run ******* tunes and they require the valve.

DieselDog

Reaction score
If still wondering if anybody has done the 2017 upgrade on a 2012. Well I have on my 2012 f250 replaced both CAC pipes and intercooler for $264.00 took me 20 minutes to replace and yes you will need to extend circuits for CAC temperature sensor if still stock truck couple pieces of 16 or 18 gauge wire fixes that concern. Other then that system works perfect have had no issues been on for 8k miles pushing 40 psi of boost not blown off yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
If still wondering if anybody has done the 2017 upgrade on a 2012. Well I have on my 2012 f250 replaced both CAC pipes and intercooler for $264.00 took me 20 minutes to replace and yes you will need to extend circuits for CAC temperature sensor if still stock truck couple pieces of 16 or 18 gauge wire fixes that concern. Other then that system works perfect have had no issues been on for 8k miles pushing 40 psi of boost not blown off yet.

any pics? Was it a must to change the intercooler?

bradschauf

Reaction score

And did you use all Ford 2017 OEM parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

Floorboard79

i didnt think the 2017 was an upgrade, h&s already has kit out to replace the plastic parts

JHTX

Reaction score
I would think H&S would be the upgrade. No plastic and premium boots. As mentioned above the 2017 would take modifications to work and the H&S is a drop in replacement just my opinion.

DieselDog

Reaction score
And did you use all Ford 2017 OEM parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes replaced hot side tube, cold side tube and intercooler all 2017 OEM parts. Only reason I replaced CAC cooler because the new cold side tube is rubber so new cooler comes grooved to help the hose seal to the cooler.
I went this route because I can get a whole new system with 2 year warranty unlimited miles for less then the price of one cold side aftermarket CAC tube.
From what I can see you probably can just replace cold tube and cooler with 2017 Ford oem parts I replaced hot side because it all only cost me 264.00 so why not just install the system.

DieselDog

Reaction score
any pics? Was it a must to change the intercooler?
I'll send some pictures when I get back to the shop.
As for intercooler change Ford did change the cold side outlet with a grooved surface which is to help the new rubber cold tube stick to the cooler.

Latest posts

Members online