Question for the regulated return guys?

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
Hey so I have been running regulated return for a year on my 96 7.3. Baby Swamp injectors, ts, kc turbo, and intercooler. I just towed heavy down to king of the hammers from Oregon(17k). I noticed as my tank got below half my egt would climb to like 1050 flat land od 65 ish mph. I switched to my second tank and saw my egts drop by like 75 to 100 degrees. I thought it was a fluke but after 1500 Miles. I decided it’s a thing. I felt my fuel filters at like a 1/4 tank at the gas station. To the hand I would estimate 100-110 degrees. Ball park. After fuel up they drop to 60 ish or whatever the diesel from the tank was. I could only tell when pulling on flat ground. The hills cause too much variation in egts anyway.

Has anyone experienced this before. Never noticed with the truck empty. I makes sense to me that at some point hot fuel equals slightly hotter egts samec as intake air. :joy:

mcnance865

Reaction score
I am certainly not an expert, but could have something to do with the warmer fuel going back to the tank and as the total volume of fuel decreases, that extra bit of heat from the return fuel is increasingly a higher percentage of total volume of fuel. What I am saying is; as the amount of fuel decreases, there is less volume to soak up the extra heat so to speak. Hope this makes sense what I am trying to say. I'm not sure this would really make that much of a difference though.

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t think it would make much difference either. One reason I thought there might be something to it is I know the 6.4 has a fuel cooler. Honestly I drove it for a year and never noticed. It was only towing heavy on perfectly flat ground with less then half of a 15 gallon tank. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this before.

farm boy

Reaction score
I run a fuel cooler I bought off ebay on the return line on my 7.3. Seemed to help as far as the temp at the filters that you described. Maybe worth a try.

Northwest444

Reaction score
I have a regulated system from dieselsite and has a fuel cooler on the return, and never have experienced this issue. I would imangine it helps keep the fuel at a more constant temp.

Latest posts

Members online