05 EX Steering wheel swap to Multi-function wheel.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Has any attempted this swap? My "new" 05 6.0 Eddie Bauer has a regular steering wheel with just cruise control. The previous 05 6.0 Eddie Bauer I sold a while back had the multi-function wheel in it with heater and radio controls. For some reason the one I just bought does not. Its a really nice feature that I miss. So I priced new ones from ford and was told $$$ for the wheel from some dealers, and its discontinued from others. So I went down to a local junk yard a found a 2005 Ex limited diesel and bought the Wheel from it with the clock spring. I installed it last night. It was all plug and play and the radio and heater control works great....But no cruise control now. I'm going to plug into IDS and see if the cruise control side of the switches is working or not. I don't think it a clock spring just because the radio/heater side works. Maybe a bad switch?

Any thoughts?

thank you for any help or insight.

Jeremy

Reaction score
So all the cruise control buttons worked...except "on" go figure. So I pryed the switch out and swapped it with another one I got at a junk yard from a 2005 EX gasser. Plugged it in and now I have cruise control and heater/radio controls.

Just thought I should post the result incase someone is ever digging through the archives looking for answers to a question like this.

The Butcher

Reaction score
Nice. How tough was it to swap? Were all of the connections for the radio and heater in the column already?

Jeremy

Reaction score
My EX was already wired for it. I just plugged in the new clock spring harness under the column and swapped out the wheel.

To check if you're already wired, follow the yellow sleve the wires are in under the steering column. There are two harness's inside the yellow sleve, they come out with 3 connectors under the column. Two little ones and 1 big grey one. The little ones are airbag and PATS, the big grey one is cruise and radio/heater functions. It has 8 slots for wires in it. My orginal wheel and clock spring used 6 wires, with two empty slots in the big grey connector. However, the other end of the big grey connector had 8 wires coming out of it going under the dash somewhere connecting to the vehicle harness. The multi function wheel and clockspring uses 8 wires. So if you have 8 wires coming out of that grey connector you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Members online