04 Excursion 6.0 PSD EB

wagoner2

Reaction score
New to me, loving it so far! Normally a Dodge guy, own a 2000 24v P pumped Cummins, trust me gonna catch all levels of hell for jumping on a Ford. However the haters can hate all they want, this platform is perfect for my family of 6. Bottom line is no one else makes an SUV of this size with a Diesel in it.

Bulletproofing starts next weekend!

bbf51ef686aa23c9fe47de3b0fd64967.jpg

be6aaab6a3b236b5cd500837f97f57fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wagoner2

Reaction score
It is affectionately being called the Family Truckster, lol. Really Enjoying it!

There is nothing wrong with it. Just want to address the known problem areas before they become problem areas.

This one is staying stock for the most part. Previous owner cut the exhaust off in under the cab. I ordered a 4" SS MBRP Exhaust, to replace the redneck hot rod exhaust that's hanging there now.

Going to do a Sinister CAI, an SCT Live Wire Tuner, a Mag-Hytech Deep Pan (8.3 extra quarts), Sinister Intake Elbow & Intercooler Piping, & see what if any "bulletproofing" has been done so far.

Cosmetically Going to Tint Driver & Passenger Windows to match the rest, have them do an Eyebrow while they are at it. LED Tail Lights & New Tow Mirrors are otw. Going to have to replace the rear bumper, has a little cancer bubbling up. Will Level it and do wheels & tires, thinking a set of Fuel Octanes or something similar & go with a set of 305/70 r20 BFG KO2's.

Will post pics as I go if y'all are interested...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I've just never had any problems with any of the "known issues" with my 6.0's

It's a torqshift, not a Dodge trans... I wouldn't worry about the transmission pan :eek:

You may find you want something even quieter than just a standard MBRP muffler. The excursions resonate like crazy.

And I'd skip the Livewire, personally... I've never had good luck with any of the Livewire versions. I'd throw an X4 on it and roll out. Probably won't notice anything from the intake elbow or intercooler piping other than shiney blue anodized chinese aluminum :D

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I'd skip the trans pan, intake elbow and intercooler piping for the time being. The 5R is a pretty robust trans, and if this thing has the towing package like it looks like it does, it has a big trans cooler. The intake elbow and intercooler piping will only net you gains on power levels much higher than what your thinking.

Go with a good custom tune. I liked gear-heads stuff. Make sure you can monitor the coolant/engine oil delta's to see how the oil cooler is functioning. If its not EGR de Leted yet, I would look into that. Make sure its not pressurizing the coolant system under hard throttle. Keep the batteries good and charged, low voltage will kill the FICM.

If I was going into an unknown 6.0 this is what I would do:
All new fluids
EGR De lete
Coolant filter
Thorough coolant flush, then a new oil cooler 500-1000 miles later (or bulletproof diesel oil cooler, but thats big money. I did it on our old Excursion).
Custom Tune

And thats it!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'd skip the EGR ****** until it poses a problem. If anything weld up the inlet/outlet. Far fewer future issues vs. the cheap ****** kits

wagoner2

Reaction score
Thanks for the Input!

I am a dealer, that being said that isn't why I am here. However it does affect some of what I am doing on the Ford. Some of the Mods are parts I have in stock that will basically be eye candy and I realize that. The Sinister Parts are all in stock items that I take to Dyno Days, Dirt Drags, Pulls, etc... Instead of them sitting on a table they will be on the truck. Plus it gives me ports for a manual boost gauge and water meth injection down the road.

The trans pan may be my "Dodge Trans Paranoia". However extra fluid and an extra cool trans never hurts. Also has a port for a manual trans temp gauge.

I will get the exhaust on the truck and see about the drone. I hate drone!

I am on the fence on the tuner, really need more input from experienced 6.0 owners as to what works best. I am mainly focused on Monitoring the truck, as well as putting a little more ass in it. It is going to stay stock turbo, stock injectors for the forseeable future, so not worried about big #'s right now. Does it make more sense to install manual pilar gauges to more acuaratly monitor boost, egt's, & trans temp? What is yall's opinion on Edge Products, I wanted the SCT because of the custom tunes. Is there something better?

All fluids are being changed tomorrow. It will be getting the once over on the lift, finding out if EGR has been de leted, if it has been studded, take a look at oil cooler, and see about a coolant filter.

I am really drinking from a firehose here. I know about enough about 6.0's to get myself in trouble. All of your advise, experience, and wisdom is greatly appreciated!

cbf9703

Reaction score
They are nice station wagons!
Welcome to the cushy side!
Yep!

It is affectionately being called the Family Truckster, lol. Really Enjoying it!

Mine's the Family Wagon. LOL welcome to the good life when you're hauling the family (and towing the toys). Enjoy it!

As for the note above about excursions and resonating for planning your exhaust, my EX is an '03 7.3, but I don't think it's noticeably worse than my 7.3 SD, I can't imagine that the 6.0s are that much worse. :shrug:

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wagoner2

Reaction score
I do not mind hearing the exhaust at all. I just don't want the drone in the cab to be obnoxious.

wagoner2

Reaction score
I think factory exhaust lasted a week... So I honestly don't remember. I'm 4" on both EX and SD.

Anyway, forgot to put earlier that upgrading the backup lights is well worth it, especially with tint, definitely helps backing at night!

That is kinda what I figured, Its a long ways from that driver seat to the back glass and with the tint I figured it couldn't hurt to light it up a bit more back there.

wagoner2

Reaction score
The only time mine gets to me is when I have the rear windows open. LOL

I will report back when I get the exhaust installed. I cant imagine that it will even touch the 5" straight pipe axel dump on my Cummins. It is slightly ridiculous.

wagoner2

Reaction score
Had a couple hiccups, was sent a Jeep Bumper instead of my exhaust, however exhaust will go on this weekend. Intake is on, got about 3-4 mpg out of it. Doing SS Brake lines, Rotors, and pads as well (had no choice, needed badly). Draining the trans and installing new deep pan this weekend too.

Debating on tires. Would love some input! Still loving this truck!

Will be doing Coolant Filter, Charge Piping, Intake Elbow, and EGR "re-location" next weekend.

Will Post Pic's after this weekends installs.

Latest posts

Members online