Remote mount turbo questions

Reaction score
I'm currently up in the air about building a remote mount charger setup for my 97. Ill be building it for dirt drags with the occasional hook to a sled. My worry is that a remote mount would mean increased lag time. Also what effects would it have on spoolup if the "up pipe" from the passenger side is shorter then the driver side? Or would an undivided exhaust housing inducer help? Does anyone have first hand experience with a remote mount setup on any PSD's? Currently thinking of a 72 or 76sxe near the passenger front bay.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
This is a pretty slow area of the boards. Might be better in the 7.3 aftermarket section.

My mind tells me it might lag a bit more than being in the factor location, but I could be wrong. I'd be more concerned about oil supply to the charger.

79jasper

Reaction score
A little lag, but that can be made up with turbo sizing.
Many rear mount turbos out there on vettes, camaros and such.
The old feed wouldn't be as much of a deal. The drain would be the problem area. Needs to be free flowing or have a pump to keep pressure from building.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
I personally don't think you'll notice any additional lag in spool up, as long as your not putting the turbo in the pass seat or truck bed. What i would focus on more is the pipe sizing. IMO, you don't want to go to big on your up pipe tubing diameter, as that I think would slow the air flow speed down.

Reaction score
I was thinking about maybe even stepping down the tubing one size about halfway between the manifold and turbo to maybe help keep the speed up as it would have a farther path to travel. Just trying to get my hypothetical ducks in a row before I pull the trigger

PDT1081

Reaction score
I was thinking about maybe even stepping down the tubing one size about halfway between the manifold and turbo to maybe help keep the speed up as it would have a farther path to travel. Just trying to get my hypothetical ducks in a row before I pull the trigger

The "speed" of the exhaust is not what causes the turbo to spin. The exhaust cooling as it moves through the exhaust housing causes the turbo to spin. Stepping down the exhaust tubing will create more back pressure. A good exhaust wrap will do wonders to help it spool.

Reaction score
Terrific! Thank you... Now, should there be a concern with trying to keep equal length of piping from manifold to turbo to help with exhaust pulses or is it ok for the driver side pipe to be longer?