"Hidden" Ignition switch

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Its a nice idea but what if they bring a tow dolly and pull a driveshaft. IF someone wants something bad enough, they will take it, they can figure out how to start it later.

You guys are also forgetting that thieves are smart, diesels are loud, why would they want to crank it, when they can do it quietly.

Snake

Reaction score
Agree with what you've said, and that nothing is foolproof. I will try to make it as hard as possible though.

I know for a fact that with a little practice, I could steal a locked but "unprotected" Superduty in under 20 seconds. If someone has a hidden kill switch, it might add another minute to the process. By the time the owner hears the truck cranking, wakes up (if he's lucky), and makes it outside.....I'm already out of the neighborhood. By the time he calls the cops and word gets out, I'm already in the next county and could have the truck stashed somewhere.

Tom S

Reaction score
Its a nice idea but what if they bring a tow dolly and pull a driveshaft. IF someone wants something bad enough, they will take it, they can figure out how to start it later.

You guys are also forgetting that thieves are smart, diesels are loud, why would they want to crank it, when they can do it quietly.

Theft by tow truck is quite rare. I would say 2% or less.

me2

Reaction score
My '99 was stolen in September. My 08 got hit last night, but they didn't get it.

Remember, anyone that wants to steal anything bad enough will get it
I just had a long talk with police. That is so untrue. Anything that slows them down or makes it harder will help. Anything. Thieves have limited windows of opportunity to get into the vehicle, get it started and get out of the area.

The police love GM vehicles with Onstar. They wait until the GPS shows they are in a good area, they surround the car and then they get Onstar to kill the ignition. The thief might get the vehicle, but he is going to get caught too.

As far as silently and quickly towing away a Superduty, good luck with that. First of all, you need ROOM to get under it and lift it. You'll have to lift the rear axle. You'll need a pretty stout truck to do it. And your getaway isn't going to be fast. And you certainly won't be anonymous.

I'm sure it can and has been done, but its more a 2% thing than a common occurrence.

me2

Reaction score
Is it true that an 08+ Superduty cannot be started except by a factory Ford key with the chip in it, OR are there ways around that ?

Thanks

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
pull a fuse under the dash...cheap theft deterrent...

Drill a tiny hole in a fuse in the fuse panel,...get a piece of fishing leader, crimp it...It is a simple concept,...pull fuse ring....trucky no movey.

The whole thing will cost about 40 cents,...and is 10000% better than any other " Anti-Theft" system out there.

Other than ...a tracking device.

problem is,...for some reason people are too lazy to pull a fuse out,...they'd rather push a button on their key fob,.....which still doesn't give you near the security my idea does...lol

so I guess it's entirely up to you,..

40+ cents.............or......400+ dollars
5 seconds.............or......0.5 seconds
99.9%+ effective...or......80%+ effective

That's great & simple but are you going to pop your hood or pop your dash panel & pull a fuse every time you stop into Kroger for 10 mins?

How many members on these sites that had their trucks stolen had them taken with a wrecker?

I don't think it would. I think they'd go to a vehicle they could start before they'd start towing.

Exactly

My '99 was stolen in September. My 08 got hit last night, but they didn't get it.

I just had a long talk with police. That is so untrue. Anything that slows them down or makes it harder will help. Anything. Thieves have limited windows of opportunity to get into the vehicle, get it started and get out of the area.

The police love GM vehicles with Onstar. They wait until the GPS shows they are in a good area, they surround the car and then they get Onstar to kill the ignition. The thief might get the vehicle, but he is going to get caught too.

As far as silently and quickly towing away a Superduty, good luck with that. First of all, you need ROOM to get under it and lift it. You'll have to lift the rear axle. You'll need a pretty stout truck to do it. And your getaway isn't going to be fast. And you certainly won't be anonymous.

I'm sure it can and has been done, but its more a 2% thing than a common occurrence.

:whs:

Snake

Reaction score
Just got into a similar conversation on another forum, and someone brought up a great point: multiple layers of defense is your best protection. An alarm with a glass break and shock sensor, a hidden kill switch of your choice, Jimmi Jammers (or another way of keeping.the locks from getting punched), and GPS monitoring in combination with each other will be the most effective means of keeping your vehicle and its contents in your possession.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
For the post about only being able to tow from the rear axle that's false. I've had my truck towed before from the front. Pulled me out of a parking spot with cars on both sides.

If your going to talk about e brakes and driveshafts the thief won't waste his time taking off the shaft to tow. It's as easy as pop the shift linkage off the trans side and put it in neutral from under the truck.

If they want it or want it they will get it.

I had my 99 broken into 3 times and my 05 once. 2 times which were durring the day.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
As far as the driveshaft removal for towing is concerned, if there's room, couldnt you drill some small holes in the threads of the bolt and put cotter pins in there? Same with the tranny linkage...if it's enough to slow them down, it would be a good detourant...and cheap too...

Latest posts

Members online