Wife is ready for an X - Do's and Don'ts?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So I think I've convinced my wife she doesn't need to drive my 6.4 around every day, so she said she wants an X!! Pretty pumped about this lolo so I'm looking for advice on which years, motors, ect...

So obviously it's either the rock solid 7.3 or the 6.0... I wouldn't get into a 6.0 without it being bulletproof. I'm assuming a 6.0 will have a nicer and newer interiors.

What else do I need to know guys? Anything to keep an eye out for? Any years better than others? It's be quiet a while since I've ventured back into the 7.3/6.0 worlds, but I'm kinda pumped about it!

purpleheart350

Reaction score
The only problem I have with my '01 Ex is the damn PATS system. You can get a SD PCM and top engine harness and switch the GPR to SD and that will eliminate the pats system. I just haven't done it yet.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I would definitely get a 6.0. I would shop for an '05, but wouldn't let it be the end-all decision maker... the '05's still had front leaves, older dash, and older HPOP components.

I'm jealous. I wish I could convince the wife she wants/needs an Excursiond (or a Super Duty for that matter)

I bought one of my 08's "for her" and STILL ended up having to buy her a car when she wouldn't drive it LOL

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Mine won't touch a car, and really doesn't even like small SUV's Edge, even explorers.. she thinks are to small.

We really thought about a smaller truck but in the end she likes having all the space INSIDE the rig, not just the bed. When we go home a few times a year i'll be our family (god willing we have some kids soon) plus dogs, all the crap, ect...

I think I may target a bullet proofed 6.0, I'd like bucket seats in the second row I think.. Anything else I need to know??

Forrest(I think it is), I know you and I have gone back and forth about truck for a while now.. New plan may be an ECSB and an X haha. Slip a TDI in there for good measure/commuting for me...

sootie

Reaction score
very very little differences between 7.3 x and a 6.0 x. pretty much only the motor/trans and front clip.

suspension and interior are virtually identical. personally, a 7.3 x feels gutless.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Forrest(I think it is), I know you and I have gone back and forth about truck for a while now.. New plan may be an ECSB and an X haha. Slip a TDI in there for good measure/commuting for me...

sounds like a good plan to me!

Excursions are awesome road trip wagons... huge fuel tank, lots of room, great power and killer fuel economy for their size with the right tuning!

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Just don't overpay. A lot of people think their X is gold plated or some ****. There are deals out there, just have to look.

I just bought a fully loaded 2002 Limited 4x4 7.3 for 11K. Only has 173k on it and is in really good shape. Only thing needed for inspection was new rear pads.

sootie

Reaction score
we get 14 in the city and 19+ on the highway,

6.0 with gearhead tunes, CAI, stock tires and 3:55 gears.

sootie

Reaction score
for sure. owned since new and over 240k miles on it. been an awesome truck, orig trans, stock head bolts...

Jomax

Reaction score
I would definitely get a 6.0. I would shop for an '05, but wouldn't let it be the end-all decision maker... the '05's still had front leaves, older dash, and older HPOP components.

I'm jealous. I wish I could convince the wife she wants/needs an Excursiond (or a Super Duty for that matter)

I bought one of my 08's "for her" and STILL ended up having to buy her a car when she wouldn't drive it LOL

Some of the late model 05s had the new hpop design. They are out there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
shows how far i'm outa the loop on a 6.0... I don't even know what ya'll are talking about.

Anyway to tell or one that I should target more than another?

Jomax

Reaction score
Have more time now for a longer reply. I personally, would buy a 7.3 X. The family Wagon was a 2000 7.3 4X4 limited X. My parents still have it with 197k on the clock. The most reliable vehicle they ever owned. The places it took us and back, if only it could speak..

On the 6.0 vs 7.3 debate. I personally would still stick with a 7.3. If you plan on adding more than a chip, you might consider a 2000 X, so you get forged rods. If not, I would get a 2002-2003. They had more options etc. I even think they had more sound deadening (drove in a 2002 and could've sworn it was quieter). While the 6.0 more power stock, with a chip and all the supporting mods, you're past a stock 6.0 in terms of speed in a 7.3. If you ever plan on towing, a 7.3 won't pop HGs...

On to the suspension, they all had the same suspension, CRAPPY.... the front end has maybe 1in of travel. My parents' X has no travel as of now. From 2003?-2005 they finally added a rear sway bar. You can fix the front end by adding V codes out of a f350. For the rear, if you plan on towing, Modded B codes. I will be swapping the front springs to V codes really soon and still keep the stock rear springs, curious what just the front leafs do. For the older excursions, you'd want to add a rear sway bar.

And I'm sure there's more.

For power and if you ever tow,

kmanxj

Reaction score
Have more time now for a longer reply. I personally, would buy a 7.3 X. The family Wagon was a 2000 7.3 4X4 limited X. My parents still have it with 197k on the clock. The most reliable vehicle they ever owned. The places it took us and back, if only it could speak..

On the 6.0 vs 7.3 debate. I personally would still stick with a 7.3. If you plan on adding more than a chip, you might consider a 2000 X, so you get forged rods. If not, I would get a 2002-2003. They had more options etc. I even think they had more sound deadening (drove in a 2002 and could've sworn it was quieter). While the 6.0 more power stock, with a chip and all the supporting mods, you're past a stock 6.0 in terms of speed in a 7.3. If you ever plan on towing, a 7.3 won't pop HGs...

On to the suspension, they all had the same suspension, CRAPPY.... the front end has maybe 1in of travel. My parents' X has no travel as of now. From 2003?-2005 they finally added a rear sway bar. You can fix the front end by adding V codes out of a f350. For the rear, if you plan on towing, Modded B codes. I will be swapping the front springs to V codes really soon and still keep the stock rear springs, curious what just the front leafs do. For the older excursions, you'd want to add a rear sway bar.

And I'm sure there's more.

For power and if you ever tow,

You said 2000 for forged rods, then 2002 to 2003 if not. What is in a 2001?

kmanxj

Reaction score
Most if the 2001s had powdered metal rods aswell.

Gotchya. Thanks. I'm assuming when you say more that a chip you are including intake and exhuast? By more you mean injectors, turbo, etc.?

I've been considering a X for my wife if the right deal comes along.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Gotchya. Thanks. I'm assuming when you say more that a chip you are including intake and exhuast? By more you mean injectors, turbo, etc.?

I've been considering a X for my wife if the right deal comes along.

Correct. PMRs get sketchy around 400hp I believe. Probably a bit under but it's all in tuning once you get to that point in low end fueling. Factory forged rods are good till around 600. I'm running PMRs chipped, exhaust, intake, 80% nozzles on stock split shots, and a 38r. I feel safe but I'm definitely looking for a running forged rod motor actively so I can do more.

I believe CSIPSDs wife has a moderately built 7.3 X. I believe so, don't hold me to it. But from what I remember she did all the work herself which is awesome.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Correct. PMRs get sketchy around 400hp I believe. Probably a bit under but it's all in tuning once you get to that point in low end fueling. Factory forged rods are good till around 600. I'm running PMRs chipped, exhaust, intake, 80% nozzles on stock split shots, and a 38r. I feel safe but I'm definitely looking for a running forged rod motor actively so I can do more.

I believe CSIPSDs wife has a moderately built 7.3 X. I believe so, don't hold me to it. But from what I remember she did all the work herself which is awesome.

She has a 38r and 160/100% injectors I believe.

Latest posts

Members online