Stainless MIG

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Tried some stainless welding last night and I know C25 isnt what I should be using but without a TIG welder or any use for Tri-mix gas, I just went with stainless wire. Seems like its alright if I can manage the heat but I'm wondering if you guys might have some ideas.
The bungs welded up really well but everything else was weird
20150730_2234301_zpsuibpudla.jpg

20150730_2234471_zpsvw75qrbx.jpg

79jasper

Reaction score
Looks alright.
For the best tips I would get ahold of Jody collier from welding tips and tricks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

getstroked27

Reaction score
Stainless is a PITA, if its not prepped just right it acts up, or if the two pieces arent prepped the same, it acts up, or any of that. welding it with wire feed just makes it worse because you dont have the Fine control that you have with tig. i have always hated wire feeding stainless, used to do it all the time when i was building custom trailers. it takes a lot of tweaking. like i said prep is key with wire feed if you want it to look nice

Spectre32

Reaction score
The shielding gas can have an influence in mechanical/chemical properties. If your doing very critical code work the wire is married to a shielding gas and that combination only should be used if you want the as advertised composition/mechanical properties. The other big factor is in how the filler material welds. Looking at your welds they have lots of spatter and overall poor weld bead characteristics. Most likely due to technique and incorrect choice of shielding gas. Helium is hard to come by these days so most Stainless steel gas mixes use other elements. Argon is the most prevalent. The C02 aids in electrode utilization and the Argon is for environmental shielding(mostly). You need some small amount of C02 since the electrode is being consumed.

Last edited:

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
yeah i was using C25 which isnt proper for the stainless and especially the stainless wire. worked much better on the last bead or so when i cranked the heat up. next time im just going to use my mild wire and deal with a bead that will eventually rust. IF i dont get my tig welder by then

cbking

Reaction score
yeah i was using C25 which isnt proper for the stainless and especially the stainless wire. worked much better on the last bead or so when i cranked the heat up. next time im just going to use my mild wire and deal with a bead that will eventually rust. IF i dont get my tig welder by then

i know this is an older thread but if you ever need any welding done i'm down the cities and have a nice tig setup going.

cbking

Reaction score
sweet! I'll let you know if i need something stainless or aluminum done. what you running?

Sorry didn't get a notification for some reason. At home I have a water cooled lincoln precision tig 225 and at work i run either a synchrowave 250 or a dynasty 300.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Sorry didn't get a notification for some reason. At home I have a water cooled lincoln precision tig 225 and at work i run either a synchrowave 250 or a dynasty 300.
What are your thoughts on miller vs lincoln? I've always liked the millers ive ran but now that I actually want to buy one I can find lincolns cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cbking

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on miller vs lincoln? I've always liked the millers ive ran but now that I actually want to buy one I can find lincolns cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If I had the money there would a dynasty sitting in my garage. For a home owner/light duty owner the new Lincoln offerings are pretty good. My buddy has the new square wave 200 and really likes it. Millers tig welders are the way to go though, mig welders it's pretty much a toss up. For mig at work I either run a miller xmt 304 or a Lincoln power mig 350mp. There both good machines. Some of the settings on the Lincoln 350mp are more user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.