Swapped out wire harness and PCM today...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Took about 2 hours but I cleaned up the donor harness and deleted some of the crap we did not need. So nice to not have the dumb GPCM...

Now the Excursion has an NVK5 PCM and a Pick up wire harness. Checked the GPR and it was working great, stayed on for 60 seconds the first key cycle.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yup, Deleted the EBPV plug, IAH plug and Wastegate plugs before putting it in, the oil pressure plug had a little damage so I cut and spliced the one from her old harness... Modified the GPCM bracket to hold the GPR.

Scared me when I got "done" went to fire the truck up and it just cranked and cranked...

Duh... Have to hook up the main harness plug... LOL

Next trip home I will install a GPR led so she knows its working and do a brake job.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Interesting little development...

I get a SES light now because the wastegate, AIH delete and EBP plugs are gone... Strange that I dont get the hard SES light on my truck with the same things being gone.

Is this something to do with the NVK PCM vrs my PMT PCM?

I guess if I have to I will dig the wires out and throw some resistors in the harness but I would rather just have them be gone.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Whats the advantage of having a glow plug relay vs. the glow plug contol module?

Cheaper to replace, easier to work on... Over the last 6 years I have replaced 4 or 5 of the GPCM... Cost is about $150 or so for each ONE... Ford wants over $200 for them...

There is NO disadvantage to getting rid of it.

caladash

Reaction score
I'm digging this one up since we just bought an ex!! Where did you source your engine harness to get rid of the gpcm? I would like to do the same since the guy I'm buying it from has a new gpcm in the back seat. Also did you figure out why you were getting those codes?

washingtoncoastie

Reaction score
I have a stancor gpr sitting in the back seat waiting to go on my ex. From what i am getting from this thread, i cannot use it because the ex uses a gpcm instead of the gpr? Hope im reading this wrong....

Layson

Reaction score
Have you hooked up AE yet and ran it through all the tests

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm digging this one up since we just bought an ex!! Where did you source your engine harness to get rid of the gpcm? I would like to do the same since the guy I'm buying it from has a new gpcm in the back seat. Also did you figure out why you were getting those codes?

The codes I am getting are Wastegate, IAH and EBPV...

The reason I am getting these codes is because the wastegate, intake air heater and back pressure valve are all gone. I cut the plugs off and tucked them into the harness before I installed it...

I never got a SES light with the same thing on my PMT truck, so I am "guessing" it has something to do with the NVK PCM... I need to see if my tuner can turn the SES trigger off with tuning or not, if not I will have to go into the harness again and add resistors.

Oh and I forgot... I got the PCM and harness from a couple guys here on the forums.

I have a stancor gpr sitting in the back seat waiting to go on my ex. From what i am getting from this thread, i cannot use it because the ex uses a gpcm instead of the gpr? Hope im reading this wrong....

You would be correct. You can NOT use a GPR on the Excursions... You will have to swap a pickup PCM and wire harness to do this.

Have you hooked up AE yet and ran it through all the tests

My AE has been broken for over a year now... Sucks but it is what it is. I will try a buzz test and cont test with the scan guage tomorrow... I dont forsee any issues however.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Write up... No...

Pretty basic.

Remove PCM.

Install pickup PCM from same year or like year (99-2001 can use NVK, PMT or like, later have to use the later PCMs)

Remove Excursion motor harness back to the main plug at the valve cover.

Modify or build or buy a glow plug relay mount (I just cut the GPCM mount down to work with the GPR)

Install pickup main harness.

Test and enjoy.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have a Cali truck so I do not have a GPR. I have the damn GPCM. I have an F.250, so do you think there is anyway to do this?

Would I have to swap out my harness and PCM for one off of a non-Cali truck?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I have a Cali truck so I do not have a GPR. I have the damn GPCM. I have an F.250, so do you think there is anyway to do this?

Would I have to swap out my harness and PCM for one off of a non-Cali truck?

Yup... Same thing as the Excursions... The only thing I am not sure on is if you could simply get your PCM reflashed by PHP to be a normal PCM... They would have to comment on that.

Denver

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work swapping wire harnesses and PCM's or reflashing them just to get the GPR which cost $100 less to replace than the GPCM.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work swapping wire harnesses and PCM's or reflashing them just to get the GPR which cost $100 less to replace than the GPCM.

Thats what I thought when I replaced the first GPCM... Then when I did the second I was really getting frustrated... Then on the third I started looking for options and then on the fifth I just unplugged the ***ing thing.

And FYI, even from Rockauto there still about $160 bucks with shipping.

I'm in this $200 bucks.

Denver

Reaction score
Does cold weather gp cycling (anything below 40*) shorten the lifespan of the GPCMs? or what would cause the GPCM's to go out?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Does cold weather gp cycling (anything below 40*) shorten the lifespan of the GPCMs? or what would cause the GPCM's to go out?

Very crappy connectors to start with. Other then that, its just a over designed system. A GPR can be replaced for $30 bucks.

Latest posts

Members online