Death wobble

junglejoe

Reaction score
Ok.. So I got my old truck back from my brother,(see below my name) he had mentioned this death wobble and in like ok,go get it checked out. I built the truck and the suspension has roughly about 15k miles on it..maybe 20k.
But.. I got it back yesterday and HOLY CHIT!!! I hit a bump,I thought the freaking truck was going to flip over!!!!
Its going the the shop today or tomorrow..but what is there things to look at? The ENTIRE front end was rebuilt with the best parts that you can get. If it unbolted and came off..it was replaced.

sdh1994

Reaction score
I have a 2010 that had the same issue a little while after lifting. I found the upper track bar bolt comes loose, tighten it up wobble stops till it needs tightened again.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Thanks guys! lI'l give it a shot..trying to fix it myself before I take it to a shop.

I just looked.. THAT is the only thing that was not replaced. Still the original one

Last edited:

junglejoe

Reaction score
Well I have some good news.. If at the very least nobody got fuggin killed! Took the truck the shop that did the suspension ..they put it up on the lift. This is the THIRD time the nut on the pitmen arm and draglink has come loose. Not sure what's going on there..but ill keep an eye out.
So as the dude was tightening the pitmen arm nut, the tire on the passengerside moves!! Like 5-6 inches moves!!!! I said whoa whoa whoaaaa!!!! Something is mother f*cking broke here!!
Dude grabs the wheel and says "OMG"!
I said yeah,look at that..good way to get someone f*cking killed!!
The lower ballpoint was completely shot!! I have no idea how it didn't fall out! Now hopefully it didn't mess the spindle up.
I've had nothing but problems from this truck since this shop did work on the truck. The parts only have about 9k miles on them,highway miles at that!

So..at this point,I'm sure that's what's causing the death wobble. Will inform you guys later what's up.

If you have a jacked up big truck,PLEASE CHECK. ALL THE SUSPENSION !! It may save you or someone else life!

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Make sure they are using an actual torque wrench and are using propper specs. Not just an impact or ratchet and calling it good.

live life full throttle

junglejoe

Reaction score
Wellthe ****uation just turned bad real quick! The freaking morons that put the balljoint in apparently put it in wrong. NOW the whole freaking front end has to be replaced because the hole where the ball joint fits into has been jacked up!
They tell me today the ball joint nut will never stay tight. Then he tightens down the nut on the ball joint so tight it feels like the steering box has been tightend up like on the older fords.
Has anyone ever had the ball joint socket on the spindle get messed to where you have to replace the entire front axle housing? Just doesn't seem right!

junglejoe

Reaction score
content://media/external/file/218016
Anyone know if they make an oversozed ball joint for the lower knuckle on a superduty

junglejoe

Reaction score
After reading up on this.. A tapered reamer is what I can have done.. Anyone know anyone near 65202 Missouri that can do this?

JohnT24

Reaction score
Joe
I had the exact thing happened to my 95 F350

I bought an insert from a bronco place online (can’t remember exactly where)

I bought a matching tapered reamer
Also ....

Reamed out the knuckle and tapped in the insert.
Worked perfectly.

That was about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

junglejoe

Reaction score
Joe
I had the exact thing happened to my 95 F350

I bought an insert from a bronco place online (can’t remember exactly where)

I bought a matching tapered reamer
Also ....

Reamed out the knuckle and tapped in the insert.
Worked perfectly.

That was about 10 years ago.

Well John.. That's great news... I just need to find the right stuff to do it. If it fails..Ill buy another front end I guess. Thanks for the info. Glad it is a fixable issue

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well John.. That's great news... I just need to find the right stuff to do it. If it fails..Ill buy another front end I guess. Thanks for the info. Glad it is a fixable issue
Probably bronco graveyard but thats just a guess. Good luck. Never heard of them getting that fubar.

live life full throttle

JohnT24

Reaction score
Something like this .....

Just double check your taper size ...
They sell different sizes

5ac9c77a7a7c787dbfc082f0d7b8b3db.jpg

junglejoe

Reaction score
Thanks buys for the help. I now believe they have screwed the steering gear box up from tightening the pitman are nut to tight..
What's the procedure? I'm sure its not with a pipe wrench and a 6 foot pole?

junglejoe

Reaction score
What are the best ball joints for an 06? I got another front end and In going to rebuild it while its out.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What are the best ball joints for an 06? I got another front end and In going to rebuild it while its out.
Its a crap shoot man. Moogs where popular. Xrf where popular, oem where popular.... whatever you get, make sure they are torqued to manufacturers spec! Not fords unles they come from ford.

live life full throttle

Overdrive

Reaction score

I can’t understand how they jacked up the ball joints installing them wrong. They only install one way. I’ve rebuilt three F series axles. Two D60s and one D50 and not one had a issue.

I only use Dana Spicer parts when I change out suspension. I used to like Moog but most of their stuff seems to be China made these days. And truthfully D/S stuff is t that expensive.

tomlin

Reaction score
I can tell you this for certain. Dyna Tracs will not work if Moogs or other aftermarket knurled ball joints have been installed in the past. Once you use knurled body ball joints there is no going back with smooth body ones. The smooth ones just fall in the bores. I have a $600.00 set of Dyna Tracs that I cannot use or return (waited to long to do the work). I learned the hard way. I will need to purchase new steering knuckles if I intend to ever use ever them.

Latest posts

Members online