03-04 5r110 vs later

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
What's the difference between an 03-04 trans and a later trans? I know rudy's won't accept the early trans as a core, why?
Can I put, say, an 08 trans in my 03?

Basically, I'll probably need a trans in my 6.0 probably within a year, can I put (what I think is) a strong trans from my 6.4 and send that 03 core off to somebody and get a trans back I can put in my 08?

Derkperk

Reaction score
From my understanding, the only difference is the converter. I’m sure someone will confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
08 and later had a different pan and filter, as well as the overdrive planetary is 5 pinion instead of four. Yes, the TC was a different bolt pattern and different stall as well. There is no issue putting a newer trans in an older truck.

Connor M

Reaction score
08 and later had a different pan and filter, as well as the overdrive planetary is 5 pinion instead of four. Yes, the TC was a different bolt pattern and different stall as well. There is no issue putting a newer trans in an older truck.

Any reason a company wouldn't take my 03 trans as a core?

EPA

Reaction score
Any reason a company wouldn't take my 03 trans as a core?

The builder plans on using the upgraded hard parts that are found in newer models. If you send him an 03/04 he would need to upgrade all these parts.. Reduces the chance of dealing with warranty issues later on.

Connor M

Reaction score
The builder plans on using the upgraded hard parts that are found in newer models. If you send him an 03/04 he would need to upgrade all these parts.. Reduces the chance of dealing with warranty issues later on.

Thanks, I’ll read through that link.

EPA

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll read through that link.

My statement on why he doesn't accept the early 5r110 is very much a statement haha... But I am just assuming that's why he won't accept them. Just want to clear that up. Haha.

Latest posts

Members online