Upgrade to medium duty or keep F-350?

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Looking at buying a F-650 Hauler truck very close to the one pictured below. Very nice interior. Air ride everything and air brakes. It is equipped with the Cat C7 but is still only rated at 300hp and 850ft lbs. I know we can add marine injectors and tune to up the power but dont know how much. Its an 07 so no *** as well. I know the C7s didnt do very good with the ***. Another plus is this trucks back seat folds out into a bed so I can save on hotels when on the road.

Current tow rig is a 12 F-350 lariat. Thing has tons of power but lacks in brakes and ride quality.

I guess my question is does anyone have any experience with this kind of rig or the Cat C7?

Towing a 44' enclosed race trailer.

CRW_3113.jpg

13012701_10205999198646098_4719990460423492030_n.jpg

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think you will be a little disappointed with the C7 honestly. The run pretty well but the 330 hp version for the fire trucks is much better. And still I think your 6.7 would out tow it. one thing to consider is how much heavier that medium duty truck will be compared to the F-350. I think I would consider a 450 first but you are not the only one making the switch. I would go full toter home... you got the money!!!! LOL

My09Ride

Reaction score
How often are you going to tow. The Cats are great engines, until you have to repair. Hope you never have to! From my experience, the cost is, Detroit's, cheap, Cummins next, then the CAT, Big bucks. As I'm a 6.4 guy they could be more.. The red head step child. I have run Cats, and they are great, love the sound, and ole time the puff of black between shift, but big bucks. Pretty Truck!! If It is to be your daily work truck, take care of it.. IMO.. Just an ole guy that has been there. I think????

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I think you will be a little disappointed with the C7 honestly. The run pretty well but the 330 hp version for the fire trucks is much better. And still I think your 6.7 would out tow it. one thing to consider is how much heavier that medium duty truck will be compared to the F-350. I think I would consider a 450 first but you are not the only one making the switch. I would go full toter home... you got the money!!!! LOL

Yeah thats my main worry. I got too used to having the power of the 6.7. But when towing long distances all that power isnt really necessary unless your trying to pass someone.

Talked to a buddy who switched from 6.7 f-450 to a freightliner medium duty hauler and he said its down on power but makes up for it in ride and brakes. so im pretty torn.

And would love a toter and stacker but thats not really in budget haha! was drooling over a pete toter with 600hp cat under the hood.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Go for a 15 or 16 450. Huge huge difference from the 11-14. Our '13 450 left a ton to be desired both in power and braking, but our new '16 is a totally different truck. Between the exhaust brake and bigger brakes it actually stops, and the non Mickey Mouse turbo helps a ton.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
How often are you going to tow. The Cats are great engines, until you have to repair. Hope you never have to! From my experience, the cost is, Detroit's, cheap, Cummins next, then the CAT, Big bucks. As I'm a 6.4 guy they could be more.. The red head step child. I have run Cats, and they are great, love the sound, and ole time the puff of black between shift, but big bucks. Pretty Truck!! If It is to be your daily work truck, take care of it.. IMO.. Just an ole guy that has been there. I think????

dont tow for a living. mostly for races and I go pick up equipment from time to time. not un common for me to be on the road 11+ hrs when we do haul.

pretty much only thing my 350 does now is tow. I have other truck to daily

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Go for a 15 or 16 450. Huge huge difference from the 11-14. Our '13 450 left a ton to be desired both in power and braking, but our new '16 is a totally different truck. Between the exhaust brake and bigger brakes it actually stops, and the non Mickey Mouse turbo helps a ton.

Problem with that is price. If I were to stay light duty I will probably keep my current truck and end up going air ride in the rear and upgrade the brakes and turbo.

webb06

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently went from a 2013 dodge 3500 to a freightliner sport chassis and loves it. He hauls dozers and skidsteers to jobs every day. Nothing long distance but he says the switch was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
My grandfather had a FL-60 back in the late 90's early 2000's and even though it was a stock 24v under the hood, the gearing and brakes on that truck made it tow so much nicer than our 96 or 2000 F-350 dually.

Air ride seats were nice as well and I really liked the push button Allison that was in it.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Step up and go full size Pete and remove an axle. You'll never be happier and you'll quadruple the power instead of downgrading the power. Plus the pricing is much cheaper.

You'll need a CDL class A either way so might as well use a full sized Pete or whatever.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Step up and go full size Pete and remove an axle. You'll never be happier and you'll quadruple the power instead of downgrading the power. Plus the pricing is much cheaper.

You'll need a CDL class A either way so might as well use a full sized Pete or whatever.

He might not have the fab skills needed to do that. ........LOL

PDT1081

Reaction score

Large sleeper and he could slide into the gray area of titling as an RV and possibly avoid the CDL.

Latest posts

Members online