fine metal shavings in filter?? need help asap

Extended Power

Reaction score
Air fish had a couple complete engines for sale in the For Sale section.
$2200.00 I think.
That's the way I'd go.
Pull one out, throw the other one in.
Tear down the other one if curious...

jrex2506

Reaction score
OK I pulled some shavings out, had a magnet in them and got no reaction. its kinda silver n gold colored as well. so is that more than likely a bearing?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Extended Power

Reaction score
Yup.
When I piled mine up, the filter looked like I poured a can of copper coat all over the filter.

....I still think of that every time I go to use the stuff.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Yup.
When I piled mine up, the filter looked like I poured a can of copper coat all over the filter.

....I still think of that every time I go to use the stuff.

funny, I just pulled a motor out last night that looked the same way. tore it down, found a rod cap backed out, spun the bearing.

jrex2506

Reaction score
my motor is at 134k. I will be tearing it down soon. would it be wise to replace the pistons/rings or if they look good just leave them?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
At this point just tear it Down and see what you have. Has this note had OEM filters it's whole life?

jrex2506

Reaction score
I'm not sure but last 20k has had them. I'm working on finding a good time to do the teardown.

jrex2506

Reaction score
update: getting it torn down this weekend. I've looked at filter closely, it appears its aluminium because its not magnetic and also seems like there is plastic pieces as well. just did lpop test and it fills filter housing after couple secs of cranking.

jrex2506

Reaction score
come to find out my oil cooler was bad, and one of the gaskets went through the hpop and the screen was covered in shreads of gaskets. the fine metal shavings was due to the crankshaft. while it was manufactured at international, the sides were not polished. so the rough tooling marks that were left was being rubbed by the side of the rods. that is why I tore into the bottom end because several opinions were that a bearing was bad or a lifter and was rubbing the cam. the bearings were in decent shape for 135k. so I bought the one truck that nobody decided to polish the crank....my machinist said in 30 years he has never seen a crank like that.