KC Drop in s300 turbine with billet wheel turbo testing

KCTurbos

Reaction score
UPDATE:

We put in a 20 degree pump and it helped just a little. Maybe 100-200psi. But still not even close to holding 3000psi.

We gain 20hp by simply changing out the pump. Made 420hp and 855tq on a 4.2ms tune.

Just for research purposes we got another tune... it was supposed to only be another 4.2ms tune from another tuner but we datalogged 5.6ms!!! HOLY CRAP. But get this... it gained another 25hp and 110tq AND held ICP a little better. Makes no sense at all. ICP was better on the crazy hot tune? IPR values looked basically the same.

Ended up with 445hp and 967tq

180/30 Full Force Injectors
20 degree pump
Custom KC 63/68/.84ar drop in turbo

Back woods

Reaction score
Video of a WOT run with my SXE GTP38 Van turbo. Tuning is an older SCT flash tuner on the race setting. Boost peaked at 27psi and EGTs got to 1300* when I let out. Could possibly go higher but I rarely drive or tow at WOT, and there are much much much better tunes out there I could be running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECBYUFYOFx0

KCTurbos

Reaction score
To make sure it is running what it is commanding the tune to run. If not it could hinder performance also.

live life full throttle

They all have been running what is commanded... except for the one tune where the guy did not know exactly what PW would be. He was using a weird way to adjust PW by using a multiplier.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you monitored it then or going off what the tuner said it should. The truck might not be doing either so it was just a thought.
They all have been running what is commanded... except for the one tune where the guy did not know exactly what PW would be. He was using a weird way to adjust PW by using a multiplier.

live life full throttle

firehunter

Reaction score
We plan to swap on a 1.0ar housing next and see what happens... if there are gains to be had then we might go as far as a 1.15

Did this ever happen?

I pulled the trigger on this turbine and have either a .84 (currently on) or 1.0 that I could put back on it. I am thinking the .84 just because of the way I use the truck coupled with my manual transmission but I open to use the 1.0 as well.

MeTo

Reaction score
Did this ever happen?

I pulled the trigger on this turbine and have either a .84 (currently on) or 1.0 that I could put back on it. I am thinking the .84 just because of the way I use the truck coupled with my manual transmission but I open to use the 1.0 as well.

Interesting, I have a 1.0 and thinking I would like to experiment with an .84 housing. With 3.55s AND a zf5. It's all about maintaining and low rpm spool for my situation.

I will be following this.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Yes we did... sorry have a lot of updates to add.

The 1.0ar did exactly as expected. Spooled a little slower, dropped egts a little... as well as lower boost/ebp. And lost about 10hp

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Any word on the 74mm turbine? Will it be offered in a kit or as a complete charger?

We ended up doing a 73mm, same size as the sxe turbos. We have been trying a couple of different designs, I will be posting up results. It is amazing what a bigger turbine wheel does to these drop turbos. Better spool up, more boost, lower ebp, more power, etc...

Not sure if we are going to do a DIY drop in version of the larger wheel, we ended up making the shaft thicker on the 73mm wheels so a lot of other things also need to be changed. It would not make much sense to do a DIY kit at that point because you will be changing the entire turbo out with new parts, only thing you could re-use is your bearing housing... every other part would need to be changed.

Back woods

Reaction score
I for one would love some feedback on the 1.15 housing (van turbo).

My EGTs are pretty low with the Van turbo and sxe turbine. Running a canned tune SCT, on the 110hp tune I really have to push it to break 1250*. The hottest I have been able to get it is 1300* on an unloaded run 15-75mph up an 11% grade. Max boost on that tune is 27psi. Have been running a 45hp tow tune and it is difficult to even reach 1000* with normal driving. A decent acceleration @ 16-18 psi boost will barely touch 1000*. It gets up to around 1200* towing up longer grades but peaks there, boost is 24psi. I like the sxe/van combo better than the sxe/stock(.84) turbo I am running on another truck. The .84 does spool faster and is better suited on a stock tune. Ran the sxe/van on a stock tune for a while and it was pretty laggy. Running a 9+0 billet compressor on both turbos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online