4-5 Upshift Squal

JROD67

Reaction score
What is the consensus on this noise on the shift into 5th with heavy throttle? I’ve read everything from tranny is toast to its normal with the 6r140.

To those who have experienced it, has your tranny gotten worse or held together? Also read one poster who said an output seal replacement fixed it and a couple who mention adding Shudder Fix corrected the issue.

I’m currently running H&S canned engine and tranny tune on my 2013.

Thanks!

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
In response to your PM on the org. too -

It is the sound of the clutches slipping. The shudder fix didn’t help, but it didn’t get any worse either. Changing to Tyrant tunes helped the most. My best guess is that it is caused by a line pressure setting in the tune. I have no real data to back that up, just a personal thought. Your best move would be to change tunes and not push the truck that hard through that shift.

Swaan

Reaction score
I bumped my truck up to the performance tune from tyrant.
Ever since I did that my trans will squeal a little or chirp on certain shifts also. Only if I'm over 3/4 or wide open.
Never did that on tow or street tune. Not real happy about it and I'm in no mood to replace a trans that has 14,000 miles on it either. I'm just going to bump it back down to the street tune and just be happy with that. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. I beat my 5r110 in my old 6.0 way harder then I have this new truck and never had a issue. Just dont seem to shift as fast or as positive as the 5r110 either.
I've been contemplating putting that line pressure seliniod BD sells in it just see if that helps.

sootie

Reaction score
Is very simple.... Get good tunes.

Whoever suggested put shudder fix in it is a retard.

An output seal would have no physical way of affecting a squeal on a shift, sorry.

These transmissions can take far more abuse than a 5r any day.

My truck makes upper 600s and is still on a stock trans....abused like you wouldn't believe.

Yes I have a comp unit waiting to go in and yes it's starting to squeal some etc, but it has been at this power level for over two years

jcain

Reaction score
Is very simple.... Get good tunes.

Whoever suggested put shudder fix in it is a retard.

An output seal would have no physical way of affecting a squeal on a shift, sorry.

These transmissions can take far more abuse than a 5r any day.

My truck makes upper 600s and is still on a stock trans....abused like you wouldn't believe.

Yes I have a comp unit waiting to go in and yes it's starting to squeal some etc, but it has been at this power level for over two years

I guess myself and the co-engineer of the 6r140 are the retards. Though, it fixed my squal and my truck lived happy above 650rwhp. I made a post many years ago about the why and how the engineer explained the grab release hub squeel.

Swaan

Reaction score
Interesting, well do you care to elaborate? I dont feel like going back and searching for hours through posts. What did you do to fix it and what is going on in there to make those noises .? So is it tuning related then??

After looking at your signature I see you have a built trans. I guess that fixed it for sure. Lol

jcain

Reaction score
Interesting, well do you care to elaborate? I dont feel like going back and searching for hours through posts. What did you do to fix it and what is going on in there to make those noises .? So is it tuning related then??

After looking at your signature I see you have a built trans. I guess that fixed it for sure. Lol
Completely different truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JROD67

Reaction score
JCain - any details you could provide would be very helpful. How many oz of Shudder Fix did you put in? Thanks

Latest posts

Members online