How strong are zf6 transmissions?

Reaction score
Sorry for baiting in with the title, but here's my situation. I've bought an 05 5.4 f250 zf6 to swap my 97 to coils. I know the modular Ford engines have the same bellhousing as the 6 liters. I've also read in several places that from 2005 on, the gear ratios are the same between the gas and diesel zf's. Aside from an input shaft, what else could be different? I can't see it being something drastic that would make them horribly weaker then the diesel model. I would like to find out for sure though, because I'm entertaining the idea of keeping the transmission for my 78 dt360 swap later on.

co04cobra

Reaction score
They list the mainshaft as high TQ (diesel) and standard (gas) from my understanding. Some parts internally are the same, but several are sold as diesel only.

The modular bellhousing is the same as the 6.0 auto bellhousing not the actual ZF-6 6.0 bellhousing. FWIW.

You ask some interesting ?s on here. What are you trying to hybrid together?

Reaction score
In all honesty, my mind doesn't ever seem to quit. It's a curse sometimes. I just like builds that are a little different from the bolt together stuff. Something you're not likely to see 2 of. Or just trying to think outside the box.

Latest posts

Members online