No oil pressure while cranking.

Mtack

Reaction score
I went after my buddies truck the other day and ended up bringing it home on a trailer. It rolls over but never hits a lick. I pulled 3 trouble codes, P0603, P0670 and P0683. What really concerned me though is the oil pressure gauge never moved a bit even on an extended crank over. All of the gauges appear to be working so my next question is what should I look for on a 6.0? He takes excellent care of it and it has the oil changed every 4,000 miles. The truck has never been neglected and is all stock with 183,000 miles on it. It had new heads less than a year ago. Do the 6.0s have problems with the low pressure oil pump? Pickup screen plugging up or pickup tube breaking off?

Atsah

Reaction score
I have had two 6.0's and the dash oil pressure gauge doesn't read pressure until the motor is running..

Atsah

Reaction score
Good to know! He told me he thought it did before and I have never been around a 6.0 enough to know.

I think I have read were people have said they did see pressure during cranking also but neither my 03 or 05 ever did while cranking.. The last two codes are glow plug codes and the first one is a PCM dead battery code..

Atsah

Reaction score
What were the circumstances of the truck.. Did it just not start, die while driving, hot, cold ect..

Mtack

Reaction score
It died while driving down the road. He said he slowed down to go around a corner and it was dead when he went to give it throttle.

Atsah

Reaction score
It died while driving down the road. He said he slowed down to go around a corner and it was dead when he went to give it throttle.

Okay.. Just some basic things to check.. Fuel pressure, FICM voltage, Battery voltage... If everything checks out, you are going to need to scan it.. Fuel pump could have died, hopefully anyway.. IPR is also a possibilty..

Mtack

Reaction score
At least now it is 5 minutes from my house so I can check it out. The battery voltage is good, fuel pressure is good, but that is as far as I have had a chance to get so far. He is on 12 hour days and I am on 12 hour nights so we will have to wait til Sat. to check it out. I have AutoEnginuity but other than oil changes and fuel filters I have no experience with the 6.0. If it wasn`t for this site I would be lost.

Atsah

Reaction score
I'm no expert but if my truck died like that, I would be looking at, fuel pump, FICM, IPR or the PCM itself.. I would also look at CPS sensor..

Good luck..

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Icp should be over 500 cranking. If its not unplug the Icp sensor on the valve cover and crank it which will make it run 750 psi default. If it still doesn't have pressure you got a bad hpop or one of dozens of other options for high pressure oil leaks.

Reaction score
check the norm first fuel pres,ficm voltage,fuses etc. also check icp while cranking also what the ipr duty cycle should hit 500 quick if it hits 2 or 300 psi quick then tapers off its probably a stand pipe or dummy plug and if it takes forever to build its the stc if its an 05+ truck.if ot an 03-04 truck id bet the check ball is missing from the hpop and the hpop will need to be replaced.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of oil gauges go up before the engine fires, so that prior statement has just been proven false....

Take the oil filter out. Depress the black valve with a flathead and crank the engine over(usually by the starter wire on passenger side, not key on)...

If it fills up rather quick, that tells you have SOME low pressue oil...

If there any kind of bongo sound while cranking over? Thats right around the milege I have seen most lifter issues... which wipes out the entire engine...

these engines so have a record for bad pick up tube o-rings.. overfill crank case and jack rear end up...

If this has the aluminum HPOP, the ball bearing falls out and cause low oil psi... If its Cast irn pump, I have seen STC fitting cause low low oil pressure too

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
You've worked on a 6.0 or two I take it? I stand corrected. It takes a certain psi to trigger them though right? They don't measure actual pressure like a mechanical gauge?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
All it is is a switch... on or off at a certain PSI. Most say the switch closes @ 5 psi. I cannot verify that.

Mtack

Reaction score
I just got a chance to check this thing out and the most icp pressure it makes while cranking is 250psi. I unplugged the icp sensor (which sucks ass on an 03 6.0!)and it tries to hit but still doesn`t start. Any ideas? The oil pressure sensor was unplugged and this thing shows really good oil pressure while cranking now.

Latest posts

Members online