Twin Hauler gets some upgrades

fastersteve

Reaction score
I put F code springs on mine. They lifted it about an inch in the rear, you can get most pf that back by switching the overload leafs.

It definitely rides better with the stiffer springs, doesn't wallow around any more and is smoother.

I tow my 24' race trailer, about 9k lbs. No air bags, no issues.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
1100 for deavers.

850 for stock factory springs.

Both 2011 model. They say that the springs are wider so I will need new shackles as well as mounts for attaching to the frame.

Jomax

Reaction score
1100 for deavers.

850 for stock factory springs.

Both 2011 model. They say that the springs are wider so I will need new shackles as well as mounts for attaching to the frame.

2011+ are direct bolt ons other then move the front hanger. They are NOT wider. That's weird he said that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Ya I have been doing some digging after work today and couldn't find anywhere that said they were wider. Just the reply from Sunrise ford.

Idk if I can justify the cost of the Deavers right now. Thinking I am just going to go with some stock springs for the time being. Can't be any worse that the crappy stock rear springs on the Ex.

Plus it will give me something to look forward to possibly upgrading one day in the future.

Got a few feelers out locally and also on here. Hope to have a set soon so I can wrap up the rear suspension on this chassis and get it all stripped back down and over to be sandblasted and painted.

Then the Ex will be parked and the teardown(FUN) will begin.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
So I finally got time to work on installing the rear 2012 springs.

The rivets holding on the front spring hangers were the worst I have ever removed. Cutting the heads off was easy, but i broke my air chisel trying to punch out the rest.

Ended up drilling partially through the rivets and then punching them out with a 4 lb hammer and a punch.

B1F07598-4F47-497C-92A6-F12867ED2D7F_zpshznqwlci.jpg

Just mocked up the hangers using the 2 forward bolts in the rear holes of the hanger. Got the springs installed and the axle bolted in. Noticed that the front bolt for the 12 springs is larger than the hole in the front spring mount. Going to have to drill that out, so I just used the 02 bolt for now to get it all mocked up. Going to try it with no rear block to start, but won't know final setup till I get the body dropped down on the frame and see where everything sits.

A1A213B9-53C5-4891-8830-14246C540637_zpskr4vn5ha.jpg

DE57FA68-BC90-4C34-A1C2-2FE20EC73FA4_zpsiyjxz774.jpg

Working on the rear shock axle mount now. Ended up ordering a second 06 driver side axle mount that I plan to mount on the passenger side to get the orientation I need for the Excursion rear shocks. The original passenger mount for the 06 axle aligned the shock to the front of the axle. The Excursion has to have both shocks in the rear of the axle as they attach to one of the frame cross members. The 02 shock mount wouldn't clear the rear sway bar that I added to the rear axle.

Once I get the orientation I need, I will probably end up welding the mount to the axle tube as it will not line up with the tab that normally keeps the mount from spinning on the axle tube.

Then I will make a template and drill the holes to mount the front spring hanger. Also want to install the air bags that I have to make sure everything bolts up and the rear suspension should be about done.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I bust those rivets off with a 3lb er and a cold chisel. 5/16 punch and about two whacks they shoot across the shop. Air tools dont seem to be sturdy enough for that level of beating.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I tried that before I broke out the punch for the air chisel. I actually broke my punch hitting it with the 4lb hammer. That is what prompted the air chisel.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Need to get yourself a bullpin. They harder than shop tools made for striking. I was hitting the bolt in my front hanger so hard that my bullpin shrunk by 1/2" by the time i got it beat through.

cranky1

Reaction score
You need a hell dog! We use them to knock on out 3/4 to 1in rivets that are up to 4in long. It's basically a 30-90lb air chisel, just don't hit anything you don't want moved

bigfords

Reaction score
Any updates on this project? Maybe another thread I misses...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. I had some stuff come up and this got put on the back burner. I do plan to start on it as soon as school lets out. My wife teaches and this will allow me to park the truck without a big inconvenience.

I would say about another month and there should start to be some updates.

bigfords

Reaction score
Haha I hear you, school is out now here too, so now I can do some projects on the Excursion. I'll be doing an 08 suspension swap onto my Dads Excursion I just got him so if that goes well maybe I will do it to mine!
I just wish mine had less body roll...how is yours?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Tons of body roll. That is what started the 06 suspension swap. Was going to go to truck leafs but decided to go to the next level and swap coils under it. Then the 11 leafs popped up and I went with them. Kinda just been a building snow all lol

Latest posts

Members online