ICP ISSUES.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Hey guys. Trying to find some help diagnosing a problem I'm having. A couple of weeks ago I began to experience some bucking and hesitation issues while driving down the road, and then my engine would occasionally die out on me as well. It would usually start right back up though. Well, I set my scangauge up to monitor Ipr, and Icp right away. It was then that I caught my icp dropping out to 100-300 right after my engine would buck and then die. So naturally I thought, my icp was bad and changed it out with an oem icp sensor. It didn't help, it continued to do it the very next day. For the following week I continued to drive the truck with no issues, then it started back up again, only now it's to the point I can't drive it anymore. When it was cutting out, I pulled the plug on the Reservoir and the oil was at the top. I've since inspected the wires on my Ipr's (BTS hpop pumps) and icp as well and no apparent chaffing of the wires here either. I also removed both Ipr coils and ohm'd them both and they both checked out 10.3 which is with in spec. I also have the new uvch harnesses, but inspected them anyhow just to make sure, they checked out fine.
I have about 9k on my LE 5W40 and about the same of my Fass system filters. My fuel gauge does not budge, it stays right at 65 psi consistently thru out these issues, so I know it's not my fuel system. While driving 40 mph at light throttle where the truck tends to start having these issues, I observed my Ipr when my engine would buck and or die from my scangauge. Cruising at 40 mph light throttle, Ipr at 12-14 percent, Icp at 1200 +/- and then the icp would just drop out and die.
I pulled my Icp connection started it up, watched it default to 730, and tried to drive it, and it does the same thing, bucks and hesitates and dies. I have no codes. I have approximately 16-18K on my engine now. So, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this that can lead me in the right direction. I plan this weekend on removing both ipr's cleaning them and doing new O-rings. Other than this, I'm kinda stumped. I do have acces to AE, but I seem to be having some connection issues rightnow that I need to figure out. Could be window 10 causing problems, not sure.
On Edit here's my build;
300/200, BTS Twin's, Melling HV LPOP, GH Stage1 cam, Ported Polished Heads w Smith Bros Push Rods & H11 studs, Crower springs, Fire Ringed head gaskets, fire ringed, Ceramic Coated Mahle pistons w dry film skirts and bearings, Crower rods, Billet Girdle w H11 studs, 38r w DS 6X6 wheel, 6.0 MAP, GH Tunes, Fass Fuel system w Hellman Sump w Custom Fuel System, Hellman Intercooler, Stage-6 Jimmy Gallant 4R100.

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
I would think my Hpop would be low or empty if this was my issue., and I pulled the hpop plug to verify this. I'm sure your right, it would be a good idea in order to watch it and see what it's doing. I believe there's a port on the filter housing that can be removed to install a gauge, correct?
On Edit; LPO gauge goes on the hpop on pass side. Remove factory sending unit and install gauge in it's place.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Does the ipr jump up when your icl drops? Have ypu tried a different cam sensor? Had one similar, i had to record the event happening, the rpm dropped out before the icp did. That one the ipr didnt jump up to compensate for the icp loss caus it thought it was shut off from loss of rpm.

The Brad

Reaction score
Does the ipr jump up when your icl drops? Have ypu tried a different cam sensor? Had one similar, i had to record the event happening, the rpm dropped out before the icp did. That one the ipr didnt jump up to compensate for the icp loss caus it thought it was shut off from loss of rpm.

I talked to Countrycar last week about this and I'm pretty sure his IPR duty cycle didn't increase to try to compensate.

MossBack

Reaction score
I had the bolt on the hpop loosen up on my old twin termy setup... It never died like that but I was chasing low icp issues. I would pop the cover off and make sure she is still tight. IIRC torque spec is like 90-100 ft. lb

Countrycar

Reaction score

As Brad mentioned, my ipr stay's pretty solid when this happens. I did put my spare cps in as well, and nothing's changed. Still bucking and shutting down on me.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I had the bolt on the hpop loosen up on my old twin termy setup... It never died like that but I was chasing low icp issues. I would pop the cover off and make sure she is still tight. IIRC torque spec is like 90-100 ft. lb
This is something I will inspect tomorrow, again I have twin bts pumps, so should be 2 hpop gear bolts 1 on top and 1 on the bottom. I'll report back on my progress tomorrow evening. Thank you guys for the help.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just an update. During the process of determining my icp issues that were causing my truck to die while driving, I thought I'd try something a little different. I knew that my icp issues reared there nasty little head when at about 14-1500 rmps while under a load. Thru out this process the truck would usually start right back up, and always idle just fine, it was more so under a load that I would experience the bucking, cutting out and or the engine dying on me. So I decided to chock the wheels, set my parking brake and power brake it on up to simulate the issues. It worked. The engine began bucking and missing and would then die as well. I did this while watching my scan gauge, and Forscan too. Yes I caught my icp jumping around and dropping out, but in the process I heated up my transmission until it pegged the gauge and then the smell of my transmission over heating hit me. I shut it down, and let sit over night. That next day I decided to drive my truck I got about 1/2 mile, and it was then that the Transmission went into a neutral state. I thought I had bumped the shifter or something, but that wasn't the case. I was fairly close to home, so I coasted it home and on up into the drive way. I tried every gear and no go. It was at that point I realized that I had toasted my transmission, and verified it with a phone call to the man Jimmy Galante who built it for me So the moral of the story, do not power brake a 4R100 for over a minute. It doesn't matter how built it is, it will damage the transmission. It's a little embarrassing to tell this story on here to you fellas, but I would rather go thru the embarrassment, than another one of you doing as I did..I guess it's true what they say, "You Can't Fix Stupid".....

Countrycar

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was or not. I'd have to check with the engine builder, and it's been over a year, so who know if they'll even recall. Thank you
On Edit; Just got off with then engine builder, and he says yes. The cam gear is welded.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The cam gear is welded.

that is good!!

that comment brings up bad memories for me cuz I was told that the cam gear was welded on my motor. then the gear started playing wack-a-mole with the cps. oh i was told it was balanced. oh, and line bored, and completely rebuilt.. haha.. not so much...

live life full throttle

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
that is good!!

that comment brings up bad memories for me cuz I was told that the cam gear was welded on my motor. then the gear started playing wack-a-mole with the cps. oh i was told it was balanced. oh, and line bored, and completely rebuilt.. haha.. not so much...

live life full throttle

No trips to Chelsea lately? I know sore subject.

OP that’s good news.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I just recently had some time to get back on and give an update. My TQ converter was the actual culprit here, but going thru a full build while it's apart. Jimmy says the transmission looked pretty good inside with no major damage. Anyhow, once the transmission is back in acouple of weeks I'll be back at trying to find out why my icp pressure would drop out and kill the engine. I have a feeling it's one the Ipr's that's causing me issues, but again I'll know more in a few weeks. Work is keeping me outta of state right now as well, so this will be a slow process to eliminating my issues. Anyhow, I'll post up more info once I get the transmission back in and running.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.