Truck smokes whites when trying to start

superpsd

Reaction score
OP my truck was running a good while with 0 PSI on the fuel pump but my fuel bowl would still fill up. Guys on here said the injectors would still run the truck, but just be hard on them.

I replaced the fuel pump and got 55psi immediately.. so the guage/schrader valve wasn't a fluke.

Also for all guys talking e-fuel. New Carter pumps on RiffRaffDiesel are $92. I'd much rather have my truck fixed for $92 and then convert to e-fuel. In my case I also had other issues aside from my fuel pump.

I had a new carter pump fail in less than 6 months. The electric pump had a huge advantage to be changed roadside much quicker than trying to change a mechanical pump. The electric pump also does not pulsate like a mechanical pump and can prime a syatem much easier. Highly consider working towards efuel. I'd you build a kit yourself it's not that expensive at all. Also low fuel pressure is not just hard on injectors it can permanently damage them. Most notably low fuel pressure can score the plunger and barrels and they will need to be rebuilt.

Last edited:

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
I had a new carter pump fail in less than 6 months. The electric pump had a huge advantage to be changed roadside much quicker than trying to change a mechanical pump. The electric pump also does not pulsate like a mechanical pump and can prime a syatem much easier. Highly consider working towards efuel. I'd you build a kit yourself it's not that expensive at all. Also low fuel pressure is not just hard on injectors it can permanently damage them. Most notably low fuel pressure can score the plunger and barrels and they will need to be rebuilt.
My fuel gauge is stuck over f as of now since I removed the selector valve due to not working and being blocked how can I get the gauge to work still. This is on a 95 cclb dually with 7.3 powerstroke

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
From what I have read the selector valve has to stay plugged in for the tank level to still read. Or I just found this information.
"Connect a jumper between terminals 4 and 5 (blue/yellow and yellow/white) on the selector valve connector." pretty simple actually. A little more research could verify this.

Last edited:

littlerobert1983

Reaction score
That sounds correct.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Truck runs great just fuel gauge over full not reading tank fuel since no selector valve is in place. I've tried ever wire and jumping them and still no results besides over full or below empty

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Sounds like the sender wire to the gauge is grounded if it sits at full all the time. That's how you test the gauge, so it's likely working. Sure you have a good connection to the sending unit in tank?