Intermittently cutting out

D66stroke

Reaction score
My grandfather has an 02. He told me it was randomly shutting off, so I replaced the CPS with a new OEM one I had. Started it, drove it a little and no issue. Next day he said it was still doing it, so I take it for a long ride and it was cutting out and throwing the CEL and WIF light, then goes away when the power comes back a second or two later. It's random, not just when taking off or putting the go pedal to the floor. We plugged Auto Enginuity to it and came back with U1027, B1352, U1262, B1201, B1203, P0475, and P0603. Also good battery voltage. It's not hesitating or anything like a loss of power, just straight up cutting out like someone turns the key off. I was hoping maybe someone has had this issue and could point me in the right direction.

MossBack

Reaction score
I would check for oil in the ICP sensor. Just had this same thing last week on my uncles truck and found that the icp sensor was bad after replacing CPS, Fuel filter and changing the oil.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Double check the female pins on the cps harness too. I found on my obs where they got opened up too much, and the truck did all sorts of weird stuff, acted exactly like a dying fuel pump, would buck, hesitate, and die sometimes.

mandkole

Reaction score
also, did you drain the water out of the filter? could have bad fuel. or put gas in the fuel.. lol

live life full throttle

This^^^. service the fuel filter, drain the bowl, check your fuel. May want to disconnect the fuel heater. They cause an obs to die.

D66stroke

Reaction score
I haven't checked any pigtails yet, which I'll do now. It's not a loss of power but I'll drain the bowl, and disconnect the heater and WIF sensor. It just cuts out like someone turns the key off, not like it's hesitating like it's losing fuel pressure or anything. My grandfather doesn't really care about money and he wants to throw parts at it until it's fixed. I had to stop him from ordering a $600 fuel pedal assembly lol

D66stroke

Reaction score
I just unplugged the ICP and fuel bowl heater/WIF sensor. It still cut out a few times. So what's next? I haven't checked the pins in the CPS pigtail yet (and yes it does have a new International grey sensor). The ICP had oil on the plug so I'll replace that and the pigtail, but I guess that wouldn't be the issue since it still did it while unplugged. When it cuts out, theres a loud click. I don't know how to describe it but I guess it sounds like when an alternator is acting up, but like I said above we put AE on it and it had a constant 14v. No jumping around or anything

D66stroke

Reaction score
Knock on wood I think I fixed it. The wires were chaffed where it goes up over the driver side valve cover. For now I just individually wrapped each one so they weren't rubbing each other or the VC, drove it for like 30 minutes and it never acted up. What's crazy is I couldn't get it to shut off or hiccup when messing with the harness where it was chaffed, but simply driving up the road they would touch somehow..

Latest posts

Members online