7.3 long crank after sitting, runs rough

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I have a 2002 7.3 with an issue that I can't seem to figure out. If it sits for a few days or longer it will take quite a bit of cranking to get it to fire. It also has 1 injector that will not fire until the vehicle is warmed up, as soon as it warms up it runs perfectly on all 8 cylinders. Unsure of whether to replace all 8 injectors or what I should do exactly.

Arisley

Reaction score
Check the HPOP reservoir before you even try to crank it next time. I bet you have one injector with a bad oring that slowly leaks oil out.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Just replaced all the orings in it about a month ago, he drove it for 2 days and parked it in the shop. It sat until yesterday morning. Ill have to have him park it and leave it sit and check the reservoir. What would cause the miss, my 02 does it and this one. Never seen any of our other 7.3's do it

superpsd

Reaction score
The non firing injector when cold is likey a worn poppet valve that has creates stiction due to low armature to body top clearance. A buzz test on a cold engine can help confirm this and or measuring armature gap clearance with feeler gauges. Factory is usually around .004" clearance. When the gap is smaller than .002" issues will start to show up.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
The injector that fails the contribution test has been replaced with a new Unlimited Diesel factory replacement. Im leaning towards possibly an idm problem or valve cover harness problem. Won't be able to look at it for another couple weeks due to be gone

Latest posts

Members online