Can certain oil instantly ruin an IPR

bruce

Reaction score
So I’ve been dealing with a high pressure oil issue for a while. I replaced my injectors and installed a used adreneline. When I first fired it up it started pretty normally, ran for like 5 minutes and died, wouldn’t fire back, only making like 50psi of hpo. So I ordered a new ipr and pigtail, installed that, fired fired up, it ran for like 5 minutes. I shut if off, cane back the next day a installed all the ic stuff and then it wouldn’t fire up, only making 50psi of hpo. I hooked the coil straight to the battery and still nothing. So I get another new ipr, install it and it will only make like 200psi so I order a new adreneline and today I installed it with the second new ipr and after more than normal it fired, ran for 5 minutes and died, won’t fire back only making 50psi of hpo. It’s making like 30psi of lpo. The oil is 5/40 synthetic harvest king brand. I’ve ran it in 6.0s before and I’ve run harvest king 15/40 in my 7.3s. I’m gettin tired of messin with this thing.

NC714

Reaction score
Injectors and hpop done at the same time? I had an injector with a stuck poppet cause almost identical issues. Would start cold, then die when warm and not restart. Might be worth taking a look under the valve covers and make sure you don't see any leakage from the injector orings or oil constantly pouring from an injector spout. You could always do a do other things to narrow it down, like dead head the pump and see if you have pressure to rule out the hpop, ipr, gear, etc. Or pressure test the hpo rail of each head to see if it holds.

mandkole

Reaction score
Oil isn't causing this.. Only 30 psi of lpo cold? The res is staying full? Can you deadhead the pump and build pressure?

bruce

Reaction score
I haven’t deadheaded the pump but to me if it will run, die and then not build pressure the only thing it can be is the ipr or the gear and the gear is tight. Also after the first time it died I took the hpo lines off at the pump and tied them up to see if they were draining through the head. The drivers bank seemed to lose oil so I pulled the injectors, orings looked fine but I replaced them. While cranking I have 30 psi at the hpop res via a mechanical gauge plumbed where the top plug is.

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
Ok, with good lpo and fill at res, assumed good pump and IPR, you agree the pressure looks to be lost downstream of the pump. With no pressure build, the whole output of the pump is lost somewhere. I'd look at following;

-no electrical signal @ IPR to close the drain for pressure build?
-good pump output but pressure loss in the rail(s); major poppet or oring leak

Check voltage at IPR during cranking (500psi is about 1.0V and goes up)
Could block one head and try to build pressure
Pull VCs, turn off the injectors and watch for poppet or oring flow during crank.

Lastly, you have the late model pump and gaskets , correct? Its not likely but just checking..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It bounces around like what you see when air is in the system
you just swapping the ipr or solenoid along with it?

well, with the injectors out, hpop out, and ipr out a couple times, there very well could be air trapped in the system. pull icp sensor and make sure oil is full up to the top of the sensor hole..

whos injectors did you go with?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i just got to say it.. harvest king oil??? are you ***in kiding me? why run cheap bottom of the barrel chit that probably costs more than delo or LE..

live life full throttle

ghohouston

Reaction score
Is this a mechanical gauge reading 50 psi of icp, or from a scanner?
Tried it with icp sensor unplugged by chance?
And i definitely agree with pulling the icp sensor. The air bubble that gets trapped in the oil rails when everything has been apart can be huge. You get the little 1/8th allen plugs back in and tight too?

bruce

Reaction score
i just got to say it.. harvest king oil??? are you ***in kiding me? why run cheap bottom of the barrel chit that probably costs more than delo or LE..

live life full throttle

I had it at the house, I always run cheap stuff after an injector change that way if I have to pull them back out I’m not ruining too good of oil. I will run harvest king 15/40 when I get it straightened out though. Can’t beat 6$ a gallon.

bruce

Reaction score
Is this a mechanical gauge reading 50 psi of icp, or from a scanner?
Tried it with icp sensor unplugged by chance?
And i definitely agree with pulling the icp sensor. The air bubble that gets trapped in the oil rails when everything has been apart can be huge. You get the little 1/8th allen plugs back in and tight too?

I don’t pull the allen plugs when I do injectors. I pulled the icp sensor and topped it off as well.

mandkole

Reaction score
Let's get some questions answered but I like the 30 psi cranking pressure-- the res is being easily filled. Gotta figure out where the oil is going from there.

Latest posts

Members online