LP oil pump priming tips?

powerstroker66

Reaction score
I have a motor here i pulled from a parts truck and the guy claimed the pick up tube was split so the LP pump wouldn't feed the hpop res....sure as shoot truck would run for 30 seconds until the res. got low and truck would shut off. After pulling pan and finding the tube was fine, i pulled the LP pump and found he used grease in the pump and plugged the oil cooler holes thus no hpop feed. So i cleaned and blew out from the hpop feed down to oil cooler to make sure nothing was blocked, put on a clean, different oil cooler, i parts washed, resealed, and reassembled the LP pump. After putting engine in a different truck it is still doing the same thing, i can't get it to prime, is there anything i'm missing? Is the LP pump bad even though it appeared fine?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It takes a bit for the system to fill up. Don't be afraid to crank this thing for a bit. It will die out until pressure builds.

5 oh

Reaction score
Keep filling the Hpop res with oil trough the plug on top then hook up another truck with jumper cables and starting cranking it. Take breaks between cranking it to Refill the hpop res and to let the starter cool eventually it will come to life

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Shouldn’t take that long to prime. Is the short Circuit plug and spring in place?

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Keep cranking/filling/running with no luck. Got pissed off and said f** it and threw on a known good one off an engine i heard run that had 94k and low and behold primed right up and has great pressure, and engine stays running. Why the other pump was bad i have no idea. appeared perfectly fine...anyway thanks for input all!

Latest posts

Members online