Reverse Delay/Soft Engagement

GreenF350

Reaction score
Lately my truck has been having a significant delay going into reverse and is very soft on the engagement when it does. This only happens on the first startup of the day and I get in a hurry and back up fairly quick after starting. If I let it sit and idle for a few minutes like I normally do it will engage right away and have the solid engagement that has been normal since I got it. Any later starts in the day seem to be fine. It has no problem holding torque in reverse once engaged solidly (even when backing a trailer or up a hill) or any other gear. Shifts fine, etc. It's an old Suncoast transmission that I had installed back in 2007 that now has about 170,000 on it.

What's everyone's thoughts? Despite the miles it still seems to operate fine in every other way so I'm not sure that it's time for a new trans yet, but not sure where to start. I thought maybe the filter was just clogged up, but it hasn't been TOO long since it was last done and it will go into the forward gears just fine, even if shifted right away after starting.

-Aaron

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Lately my truck has been having a significant delay going into reverse and is very soft on the engagement when it does. This only happens on the first startup of the day and I get in a hurry and back up fairly quick after starting. If I let it sit and idle for a few minutes like I normally do it will engage right away and have the solid engagement that has been normal since I got it. Any later starts in the day seem to be fine. It has no problem holding torque in reverse once engaged solidly (even when backing a trailer or up a hill) or any other gear. Shifts fine, etc. It's an old Suncoast transmission that I had installed back in 2007 that now has about 170,000 on it.

What's everyone's thoughts? Despite the miles it still seems to operate fine in every other way so I'm not sure that it's time for a new trans yet, but not sure where to start. I thought maybe the filter was just clogged up, but it hasn't been TOO long since it was last done and it will go into the forward gears just fine, even if shifted right away after starting.

-Aaron

How longs the oil been in there? Maybe time for a oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenF350

Reaction score
Thought about that and might just change it out to be safe, but it's only been in there for about 20,000 and never been above 170* (usually closer to 150*). Still red and smell like it should, but I suppose it's fairly cheap, would rule that out and won't hurt it anyway. I still have a hunch there is something else going on though.

GreenF350

Reaction score
does the od light flash?

live life full throttle

No other real indications that anything is wrong, but that is a noticeable change in its operation. I'm wondering if there is a damaged or worn seal/valve/bore or something like that causing it to take a little extra time to build pressure in the reverse circuit, but I am not very familiar with the inner workings of a 4r100.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.