Dual alternator kit

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a list of parts for the dual alt kit? I am thinking of using the kit as a relocation kit to make room for my intake pipes for my 6.4 turbo's.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Those of you who are running dual alternators... do both alts run off the same belt? if so this may mess with my idea of running the lower alt as my main alt. Any thoughts?

CCRICE

Reaction score
I don't see why if you re mount your alt somewhere else as long as it can still hold tension on the belt it would matter.. If you run it low you would still have the same slack as if it was up top provided it's mounted right.. I dunno it might take some redneck ingenuity but i don't see why it can't be done.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The PCM randomly selects which alternator to use at the time, I don't quite understand it, but I'm not sure you can just use one or the other. I know guys who have tried going from dual alts to singles and the consensus was you basically need to do the swap in the Ford parking lot and have the PCM reprogrammed right after. Maybe there's a different way to do it now, but not sure.

The dual alt setups has two alts (obviously) two tensioners, two belts... etc... it's a mess in there.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
If he is just using the bracket to mount a single then it shouldn't matter, there is still only one alternator....but, being that they use a separate belt to run the second, I betting it won't work...

Zmann

Reaction score
dual to single does not need a pcm reprogram there is a wire that needs cut

Dennis at Strictly has some info as He was messing with this

as far as single to duals ,, it shouldn't be to bad and I do not know if that would need a PCM flash?

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Guys y'all are making this so much more complicated than it needs. My truck went from a single on top, down to a single under the manifold In a weekend, no programming or anything.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Now I am completely lost. I have seen that QVM bulletin before but it says nothing about what parts are required for the 2nd alt.
What I need is to completely remove the upper alternator and install one in the lower location. Is this even possible? I just noticed that the belt that drives the upper alt also drives the AC compressor and some other things. How do I get around this?

Jon

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Now I am completely lost. I have seen that QVM bulletin before but it says nothing about what parts are required for the 2nd alt.
What I need is to completely remove the upper alternator and install one in the lower location. Is this even possible? I just noticed that the belt that drives the upper alt also drives the AC compressor and some other things. How do I get around this?

Jon

Make a bracket and put n a dummy pulley.

-Jake-

CCRICE

Reaction score
What i was getting at is you take the alt, move it to the bottom.. As long as you position it right you will use the same slack from the belt. I can't see a reason why that would create an issue. As long as you maintain the tension you should be good in my eye. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The upper and lower alternators use different belts, how does one just move it to the other location without buying all of the related hardware, and then how do you keep the belt tight with the original alt gone? Putting a dummy pully in there doesn't gain you much room

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Well from what I can tell the OEM alt designed to go in the lower position has a different groove count than the upper one so unless I can swap pullies that won't work.

Making a mounting plate and attaching a pulley would eliminate the bulkey alternator body in the way, I am still limited by the pulley but that would make a lot more room for me to angle the intake past where the alt would be...

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've got quite a few pics of my dual alt setup on and off the truck, maybe that will help answer some questions.

IMG_0757.jpg

Also for anyone who has dual alts, you can remove that crimped CAC tube and put the one meant for the single alt trucks in without issue, I've swapped mine out after this picture was taken.

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Some of the hardware used to mount the second alt:

IMG_0783.jpg

Another of the "crimped CAC tube"

IMG_0784.jpg

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Talk to shawn, ivan or matt. They I believe have used the dual alt brackets to mount the single in the lower position. Kind of a pre resq. For twins I though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.