Resurgence of a F100

bluedge8

Reaction score
at 200 miles a week, the bbf would be out of the question- I've seen too many guys say they don't care what the mpg is then drive it less and less until they hardly ever start it because it costs too much. obs turbo would be tits.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I have a 5.0 now....minus the fuel injection. So what would that gain me? This is a classic, and a classic gets a carb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
at 200 miles a week, the bbf would be out of the question- I've seen too many guys say they don't care what the mpg is then drive it less and less until they hardly ever start it because it costs too much. obs turbo would be tits.
Oh yeah that's definitely been a concern all along. As it is now, I drive it 2 days and fill it up. About 11.5 to 12 mpg is the best I'm getting. I'm guessing the BBF would be half that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So I'm bored with the power output of the 302 in my F100. It's ok...but when is ok good enough? Been thinking about buying a good set of heads for it (probably AFR's). Between those and a set of roller rockers, that's been dynoed to add nearly 80hp over stock garbage E7 casting heads...which mine has currently. AFR's are $1600ish, and in a 302 platform, you dont have much more room to grow before you start worrying about splitting a block in half.* My original plan was turbo, but that splitting issue is what changed my mind. As a typical ********, my brain starts wandering to bigger fish....bigger as in cubes.* Let's throw a 460 in this bitch!* So I ran with that a bit lately....but now I'm thinking otherwise. I'd probably have to alter my driveshaft going from C4 to C6, I highly doubt the Dana 44 rear this thing has would handle the torque of a BBF very long, added weight over the front end, tracking down the correct engine perches....we are adding up the cost quick here. Not counting rebuilding the 460/C6 when I find one. Then there's the fuel mileage....75mph is most of my driving, so I'd be guessing maybe 7mpg at best.* But the torque yo.....I love a torquey monster.* Yesterday while perusing CL, I come across a 351W, still in the crate that some dude bought but sold the truck before installing. Would need basic accessories, but it's just a stock rebuild, zero miles 351W.* I love that engine, always have, and it's a decent starting point for a build. Guys asking*$850,*which is a good price in my opinion.* With it I can reuse my C4, engine mounts, ect.* Part of me wants to jump on it, but I'm still stuck with a small block.* But a 351 with a better set of heads and a good cam is 400hp easy.* I really do have too many options here...lol. I want a BBF in the Pumpkin bad, but realistically the Windsor makes more sense to me, If for nothing more than simplicity and cost.*

Jake, before you say it, NO I can't just leave it alone. Lol.

Lmao! I was just being supportive. I have all sorts of good ideas you could do to that thing. Stroker motors are torquey so stroke what you have or pedel it for 850 and start over with that 351. But just remember that the only replacement for displacement is boost!
Oh yeah that's definitely been a concern all along. As it is now, I drive it 2 days and fill it up. About 11.5 to 12 mpg is the best I'm getting. I'm guessing the BBF would be half that.

My 79 f250 with a 30 over 400m and 650cfm holey carb got 12mpg all day long. Air flow and fuel mixture is key and throttle input of course.. lol

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well....as things always do, I might have found another way to spend my money. Local guy is selling a 78 F150 4x4 and a 78 Bronco that I can probably get for $1000 total. One has 351m, other has 351w. I could build the 351w for the Pumpkin, and part out the bronco and make up a lot of the cash I spent. Probably budget redo the F150...swap cranks and pistons to make it a 400m....lift, 36’s, ect. Then I’d have to figure out which truck I wanted to keep...which blows. May go look at those this weekend. If that falls through, I still think I’m going to go the 351w route in the 77.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
351w most definitely.. You'll have a little exhaust work (for the taller deck) as part of the swap, but a nicely built 351 will be bueno for the heavy truck. Depending on the shape of the donor will determine how much extra you could justify. Some nice 2.02/1.6 heads, roller valvetrain (flat is fine below 6k), 270 ish cam, and the new Holley EFI (they are nice) would be the shiz...

6speedsd

Reaction score
The deal with that dude fell through. He's trying to get his yard cleaned up...not sell vehicles. Now he has added another 86 Bronco to the pot, but jacked the price up on the lot to more than I'm willing to pay. And he will only sell as a whole...you take everything. Would be fine if I had somewhere to park 3 junk vehicles while I parted them out, or the time to, neither of which i have.

Sounds like the consensus is 351w. I need to get with the guy that has the crate engine and see if he still has it. I think in sticking with HFT, and honestly unless there is a huge advantage, probably skip the roller rockers too as I never foresee turning those rpms.

Are 351 heads worth any port work, or do they flow pretty well stock? I know alot of people swap them on a 302, but anything is better than E7's.

6speedsd

Reaction score
So, another avenue to discuss....

What about a 347? Rotating assembly is what... $1000ish, $1200 for a set of TFS heads, already have the roller block if need be to swap back to it. How does a 347 compare to a stockish 351w with heads and a cam swap?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Agreed....I’ve looked into 408 kits many times in the past.

Was just tossing that idea out there for conversation sake

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I was just pokin some fun... I like the 347, especially for the torque in the truck. A 331 has better rod angles, but has less torque, but with the better rod angles, in theory should last longer. But, with your an of building as youre driving it, its kinda hard with the motor youre building being the one in the truck.

6speedsd

Reaction score
This is true. I mean I dont have to keep the truck on the road right now, but I dont particularly want to tear it down at this point. It would be down a while being summer and my free time is limited. Anything i do will most likely not get done until late this year anyways when I have little else to do.

Still think the 351w is the way to go for me. Even stock with a better cam it should be a nice power increase over what I have now. If nothing more than the "seat-o-the-pants" feel.

mandkole

Reaction score
Beyond a simple gasket match, I wouldn't put effort/money into any port work on the stock heads. Keep your eyes open for some decent used alum heads, give them a valve job and you'll be way ahead to an easy, honest 50-60hp. Don't get crazy with the cam and it will be a torquey jose.

Btw, I've got some 1.7 Motorsport pedestal roller rockers that have an hour of run time on them if interested.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Where do you guys find used performance parts, like heads and such, besides CL or Ebay?

I'm running a 260H now, and it's ok. Not really lumpy at all, but I'm sure it's a bump in power over stock. Thought about a 270H, but much bigger and it starts getting into "stall converter recommended" territory. Any drawbacks to running a 1500 stall knowing what my driving consists of?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I'm running a 278H in my 460 and with a 2200 stall converter and it leaves a lot to be desired. I'll be bumping it to a 3000 rpm unit soon. The idle sounds very angry though :evil:demon:

6speedsd

Reaction score
How do stalls drive on the street? That's one thing I've never had any dealings with. I know a bigger stall would take some getting used to in city driving, but what about a 1500-2000. Is it really that noticable how the truck responds? I'm sure it would benefit me in this truck now with the rev friendly small block, 3.07 rear gears, and the overall heft of the truck.

mandkole

Reaction score
Higher stall drives fine, but you need good trans cooling. They build more heat if you're under the stall speed a lot (you would be w 3.07s). Make sure you understand the flash speed at your power level not the rpm you can hold against the brakes. Over camming is a slippery slope because they are weak at low rpm.

The 270H is pretty lumpy in a 302 (less lumpy in a 351) and was very responsive to a loose converter. We picked up .7 in the fox going from stock converter /3.73 to a 4000 flashing 8". It's not real street-able and must watch trans temp.

For a street truck, keep the parts balanced for good torque and power with a slightly over stock converter (2000-2200~).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.