kc38r vs kc300x

Vgk

Reaction score
I am wondering how the kc38r ball bearing compairs with the kc300x journal bearing turbos compair ar and sizes being the same. all sizes being the same are the only differences the bearings? they use the same wheels and housings right? if so, whats your opinions on the two and would it be worth it to pay more for the ball bearing turbo? or would you rather have the jornal bearing one for a cheap rebuild option in the future? Im looking into the 63/73 turbos on both. probably .84ar

Vgk

Reaction score
The kc38r is rebuildable but if I had to guess it would be more money to do it. I did answer my own question though. I saw on another thread that KC turbo chimed in on that the 2 are the same. It’s just the bearings that are different and the shaft to accommodate the bearings. He also said that with their testing the difference between the 2 turbos is almost zero so I would rather save the $300 and get the journal bearing one. So another question, who out there is running the kc300x 63x73? Thoughts? Stock stocks? Thanks guys

19.5s

Reaction score
The KC300X is rebuildable too based on info from KC's website. I also debated the 2 and decided on the 300x66/73. It should be installed in a week or 2 so I will report back the results.

BAMF0816

Reaction score
have yall seen KCs 38r center section replacement? the way i understand it, if you already have a wore out 38r, you could buy KC's center section, slap the old covers on and go. basically have a stage 2 or 3 drop in for way cheaper than a full replacement.

Reaction score
The KC300X is rebuildable too based on info from KC's website. I also debated the 2 and decided on the 300x66/73. It should be installed in a week or 2 so I will report back the results.
Any updates? Just toasted a fairly new 38r (with riffraff billet wheel). Wheel just came apart after about 3 years of good service. Truck is an 02 with stock injectors and tuned, its a dedicated tow rig. Looking at the kc options as well, was never really satisfied with the 38r for towing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MeTo

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have had a[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]63/70/84 for two years and I'm very satisfied with it. Charlie recommended that version based on I have a ZF5 and 3.55 gears (truck in sig). No smoke unless I'm not thinking, no staring at the EGT numbers and there is 6 or 7 psi by 1400 rpm. My previous turbo was a 38r; the 300X is noticeably more quiet and out preforms it in all scenarios. [/FONT]

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have had a[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]63/70/84 for two years and I'm very satisfied with it. Charlie recommended that version based on I have a ZF5 and 3.55 gears (truck in sig). No smoke unless I'm not thinking, no staring at the EGT numbers and there is 6 or 7 psi by 1400 rpm. My previous turbo was a 38r; the 300X is noticeably more quiet and out preforms it in all scenarios. [/FONT]
Good to hear, we ordered the 63/68-.84 this morning. I know my mother is looking forward to not constantly having to stare at egt Guage anymore. Not to mention will probably accelerate a little better too when they've got their TT hooked in tow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online