200K decision time. 2017 or Cummins swap or ?

me2

Reaction score
I'm wondering what I should do with my truck. Sell it and buy a 2017 ? Swap a Cummins into it ? Or something else ?

My 2008 F350 King Ranch has 210,000 miles on it. It got a new set of injectors and a HP fuel pump at 90,000 miles. I replaced the *** at 160,000 miles. Nothing other than that.

As it sits right now, I have a squeaking sound coming from the engine. I'm hoping its a belt and not the rocker arms. It also has an oil leak I haven't investigated.

The engine runs OK. The EGR valve is probably stuck again. It idles a bit rough sometimes. It starts and runs OK though. I don't expect it to last much longer. Just a feeling I have and the history of these engines.

The rest of the truck is in great shape. The interior looks like new. The paint is good, except for a couple scratches and rock chips.

I can probably get $15 to $20K for it.

I have a new 2010 Cummins 6.7 sitting in my garage as well as a 6R140 transmission. I can probably get $6K for the engine and $2,500 for the transmission.

A new 2017 is probably going to cost $60K.

If I get $20K for my 2008, I can trade up to a 2017 for $40K.

I can do the swap for $8500 for the engine and transmission, $1000 for miscellaneous stuff and my time and labor.

$9500 plus my truck for the swap. $40K plus my truck for a 2017.

What would you do ?

PS. I test drove a 2015 Dodge 3500. The cab is smaller. It rode rough. I don't like the mirrors. I'm not interested in a Dodge.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
cummins swaps almost always go over budget and most guys can't handle the small, finicky, ongoing issues that are inevitable- and end up selling or parting the truck.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
cummins swaps almost always go over budget and most guys can't handle the small, finicky, ongoing issues that are inevitable- and end up selling or parting the truck.
X2 I've seen it a hundred times.

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
It sounds like you have an engine that just needs a little TLC that squeak is probably a belt that's wearing out and most of the time small oil leaks are easy to fix if I were you I would just fix all of the small issues now and keep the truck and save your money

Strokersace

Reaction score
What the hell happened to your 6. 7 Cummins swap from two or three years ago? You have bitched about your current ford motor from day one. Now you're asking the rest of everybody else to tell you whether you should do the stuff that you said you were going to do all along???

Strokersace

Reaction score
This guy has been saying he was going to do a Cummins swap on this truck for years. Matter of fact he has had a huge thread about it. Was even planning on stretching the cab to make it a 6 door. Then a year or two ago it just abruptly stopped with no updates.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I remember all the can signal discussions. I stopped checking a year ago.

me2

Reaction score
What the hell happened to your 6. 7 Cummins swap from two or three years ago? You have bitched about your current ford motor from day one. Now you're asking the rest of everybody else to tell you whether you should do the stuff that you said you were going to do all along???

Life happened. Kids, work, projects, etc.

And yes, I've hated that engine all this time. It has been a fuel pig. But it hasn't quit. The truck itself is excellent.

Last edited:

me2

Reaction score

This would be my 2nd Cummins swap. I know about the details and how that works. My first Cummins swap was excellent.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Theeeeen, what do you really want to know? You said you think the engine is getting bad. Trade it in or fix ypur underhood situation.

My one input is if you can't pull off a clran cr to cr swap, dknt waste your time. Id rather see a high mile 6.4 in there than a effin 12v or some other unrefined motor.

Sell the junk you have and gave someone build you a reliable 6.4 lb and keep trucking. Tuned/del8ted and call it a day.

Edit:not fixing typos anymore :D

jngreen

Reaction score
You sure have driven that truck a long time on a motor that you have complained about since day one. I think if you would have done the typical dleet and good tune, you would have been much happier. That motor is gonna last 300k just to spite you.

On a less sarcastic note, I would get rid of the truck. It has been fairly reliable for you in stock form, once you go messing with an unproven combination on an aging truck, it's not gonna be worth anything to anyone but you. There would be more guys interested in it if you did a 12v and 5 speed manual swap. I know I wouldn't want that headache of trying to repair a Frankenstein truck. It doesn't sound like you have time to swap it anyway.

Last edited:

me2

Reaction score
Nothing special about maintaining a swapped truck.

Resale is good to the right guy. I parted out my last one. Got $5000 for the engine alone. About $12K in all. It was stolen so a bit of damage.

me2

Reaction score
As far as resale value goes, if I drive it for 5 years and part it out, it owes me nothing. I'll always get a good dollar for the engine and transmission, especially as a combo. Who doesn't want a 4-500 HP Cummins with a good auto behind it.

The truck itself isn't worth much now and will only decrease in value as it ages. It is especially not worth much if the engine blows. It will cost me at least $10K to rebuild the 6.4 if it goes.

If I buy a new truck, it will depreciate $20K in 5 years.

I almost can't go wrong doing the swap. But I sure like new trucks.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
As far as resale value goes, if I drive it for 5 years and part it out, it owes me nothing. I'll always get a good dollar for the engine and transmission, especially as a combo. Who doesn't want a 4-500 HP Cummins with a good auto behind it.

The truck itself isn't worth much now and will only decrease in value as it ages. It is especially not worth much if the engine blows. It will cost me at least $10K to rebuild the 6.4 if it goes.

If I buy a new truck, it will depreciate $20K in 5 years.

I almost can't go wrong doing the swap. But I sure like new trucks.

I don't want a 400-500 hp cummins. Why would I want less power than a tuned 6.4 for way more money? And for the money your going to have in the swap you could have built a strong new 6.4 and upgraded the trans. Not to mention have way more than a mere 400 horse. Rant over.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I don't want a 400-500 hp cummins. Why would I want less power than a tuned 6.4 for way more money? And for the money your going to have in the swap you could have built a strong new 6.4 and upgraded the trans. Not to mention have way more than a mere 400 horse. Rant over.

But it's a Cummings everybody wants a Cummings don't ya know. Plus he hates the 6.4 so much that he put 200k on it.

I don't get the point of this thread anyway I mean it sounds like you have your mind made up anyway.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I don't get the point of this thread anyway I mean it sounds like you have your mind made up anyway.

My point exactly...

Makes no sense. Let's bitch about the 6.4 for years but do NOTHING about fixing (getting rid of) the flaws. He was told from day one how to remedy his issues, but he insisted otherwise. I have zero sympathy for him. None. He made his bed, he needs to lay in it. All I see this thread being as a chit stirrer.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I think he should just continue on with his original plan of the Cummings swap and stretch the chit out of the cab and make it a short box. Then it'd have gianormous amounts of resale... "To the right guy".

djr4x4

Reaction score
Just sell the cummins engine and tranny and fix the 6.4.. :doh: or is this going to be, lets sell the truck and say that it runs solid and leave it to next guy to fix the problem that you knew about?

Jomax

Reaction score
Can I have your full set of king ranch seats?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk