F53 Hydroboost for OBS conversion?

Reaction score
There was some talk at one point and I believe someone actually has done it. I recall the discussion the the F53 motorhome chassis hydroboost was still a bolt on to and OBS, the difference being the stud spacing for the master cylinder allows the original OBS 1 1/4 master cylinder to bolt on with out slotting the holes. Does anyone have the year or part # for the F53 hydroboost?

brewer

Reaction score
I did it. The benefit is that it is a bolt-up to the firewall but it also uses the larger-bore SD Master cylinder.
Be sure to spend some time reading up on all the parts. There are some good references on other sites too. Be sure to pay attention to posts by Jerry (Got4WD). He did a lot of later legwork on this swap.
With my SD rear disc swap, my brakes are night/day to what they used to be.

Reaction score
I did it. The benefit is that it is a bolt-up to the firewall but it also uses the larger-bore SD Master cylinder.
Be sure to spend some time reading up on all the parts. There are some good references on other sites too. Be sure to pay attention to posts by Jerry (Got4WD). He did a lot of later legwork on this swap.
With my SD rear disc swap, my brakes are night/day to what they used to be.
Oh I have studied the details. I have already done my 91 with complete success. My question is based on a comment I read (and now can’t find) that the F53 motorbike chassis booster is the same except the master cylinder mounting fits the original the original 1 1/4 master cylinder. I don’t plan to put rear discs on this truck this truck and the F-Superduty 1 5/16 is too agressive on drums for me. Yes I know I can slot out the MC but if I can just buy the booster that fits why not?

Kowboy

Reaction score
I had the same question, I found this on the Hydro-boost conversion sticky.
Page 16 post #154 by Got4wd

" Thought I would add a little "new" information into this thread, I got a hydroboost unit from Tom S and sent it off to be ported. I wanted to see how much better a ported unit was. I can tell you there is a few things that are better, pedal feel is greatly improved. Meaning it is much easier to push the pedal down and still have excellent brakes. I would say it's between a stock vacuum system and a converted hydroboost. I feel having it ported was worth it just having the better pedal. Also to all "future" hydroboost installers, I would advise to order part number 6u9z-2005-a. This is the part number I got from Tom S. It is a different unit than a motorcraft brb-37. The spacing where the master cylinder mounts is narrower than the motorcraft one. So when you mount up your stock master, you will not have to notch it to make it fit. Also the newer super duty masters will bolt up just fine too. Super duty masters are a 1 3/8 bore and set up for rear discs. I'm having to order a new master for mine since I had to notch my brand new master to make it fit Toms hydroboost. I will post how that works out next week."

I found that PN# 6u9z-2005-a here https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-booster-asy-brake_6u9z-2005-a.html

Also this fits a 07 to 09 F53 striped chassis.

Rock Auto: https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1500997&parttype=1884

New Ford number I believe: F81Z2005CA and Cardone 527367

The rod between the booster and master is not included, this can be purchased on Ebay do a search for 129496-BH or 129496-SH the price just went up to $40 with $11 for shipping. I do not know the correct part yet as I have not received the booster.

Good Luck
Bill

You maybe able to contact the ebay seller and buy everything from them.

Kowboy

Reaction score
I had the same question, I found this on the Hydro-boost conversion sticky.
Page 16 post #154 by Got4wd

" Thought I would add a little "new" information into this thread, I got a hydroboost unit from Tom S and sent it off to be ported. I wanted to see how much better a ported unit was. I can tell you there is a few things that are better, pedal feel is greatly improved. Meaning it is much easier to push the pedal down and still have excellent brakes. I would say it's between a stock vacuum system and a converted hydroboost. I feel having it ported was worth it just having the better pedal. Also to all "future" hydroboost installers, I would advise to order part number 6u9z-2005-a. This is the part number I got from Tom S. It is a different unit than a motorcraft brb-37. The spacing where the master cylinder mounts is narrower than the motorcraft one. So when you mount up your stock master, you will not have to notch it to make it fit. Also the newer super duty masters will bolt up just fine too. Super duty masters are a 1 3/8 bore and set up for rear discs. I'm having to order a new master for mine since I had to notch my brand new master to make it fit Toms hydroboost. I will post how that works out next week."

I found that PN# 6u9z-2005-a here https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-booster-asy-brake_6u9z-2005-a.html

Also this fits a 07 to 09 F53 striped chassis.

Rock Auto: https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1500997&parttype=1884

New Ford number I believe: F81Z2005CA and Cardone 527367

The rod between the booster and master is not included, this can be purchased on Ebay do a search for 129496-BH or 129496-SH the price just went up to $40 with $11 for shipping. I do not know the correct part yet as I have not received the booster.

Good Luck
Bill

You maybe able to contact the ebay seller and buy everything from them.

Just wanted to make a change to the previous post for those that may look at this in the future.

The part number "6U9Z-2005-A" has been replaced by "CU9Z-2005-A" The rock auto number that I had referenced before is incorrect it should be "527383" The best price I could find on this booster was $332.00 new. I could not locate anything but new.

I hope my previous post did not cause anyone any issues.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Just wanted to make a change to the previous post for those that may look at this in the future.

The part number "6U9Z-2005-A" has been replaced by "CU9Z-2005-A" The rock auto number that I had referenced before is incorrect it should be "527383" The best price I could find on this booster was $332.00 new. I could not locate anything but new.

I hope my previous post did not cause anyone any issues.

John,
I have the booster installed. It bolts up to the firewall and the master with no changes to either. Also it works quite well, it has been a while driving a vehicle less with hydro boost. It is a nice improve ment.

Latest posts

Members online