Bent crankshaft, what could have caused it?

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
I had my truck swapped from an auto to a manual at a local shop and when I got it back it was very loud and the truck shook quite a bit. The owner of the shop told me this was normal because of the single-mass flywheel I added so I went with it. This week after about 2000 miles on the swap I started a vacation to Oregon from montana. About 10 hours in we pulled into a gas station and the truck was covered in oil. It was about 2qts low and leaking from the rear main seal and I was an hour from a friend that I could take it to. At this point the starter needed to be hit with a wrench to start the truck and the usual rattling from the trans was louder so I limped it at 35 to the house and left it for the night. It was towed to a local shop my friend recommended and they drop the trans found dirty fluid with metal flakes, the pilot and throw out bearings were exploded and the rear main seal was destroyed. The flywheel was wobbling at idleast so with the trans out the shop bolted a new flywheel on and the wobbling continued making them think the crankshaft is bent.
Tldr: auto to manual swap done by shop, truck was louder on return but shop said was normal, 2500 miles after swap rear main let go and the crankshaft is bent.

What I want to know is what could have caused this, given that I am well under 300hp and haven't been railing on the truck that hard, no sled pulls or drag racing.

78f100

Reaction score
I highly doubt the crankshaft is bent, but I would bet money something was out of balance and got the main bearings. That is most likely why the crank is wobbling.

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
Is there anyway to check that without dropping the motor? And could a pressure plate not being torqued down correctly cause the main bearings to go out? I ask because a friend who is a mechanic thought that might be the cause of the rattling.

superpsd

Reaction score
Sucks man. What RPms does it rattle. I have the Valair ceramic as well. At idle and lugging below 1200 Roma it has a little bit of a rackety gear rollover and groan which is normal. How loud was it?

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
Before it broke it would vibrate at all rpms, the rollover and groan was low rpm but on the freeway doing 80 at 27-2900 rpm it wold rattle like crazy now it sounds like the gear rollover at all rpms but louder.

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
It's always been louder than was normal I believe because my same mechanic friend heard it for the first time and couldn't believe how loud it was but at that point it was quieter than when I first picked it up

gwunter

Reaction score
Perhaps broken crankshaft is the problem.....but let's think positive.....if there is a positive in this situation.

Swaan

Reaction score
Id like to know the out come but im willing to bet a broken crank.
Very rare to bend a crank, let alone bend one so much it wobbles. But a broken crank will wobble and shake and make a hell of a racket just like his is doing.