Buying a rolled 6.4, need help with codes and possible issues

300000 and counting

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a 6.4 that was wrecked and rolled on its passenger side, it hasn't been started since the wreck, and when he tried starting it today (almost a year after sitting) the starter didn't do anything. But the truck had the following codes:

P0231 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit low
P0232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit high
P0381 Glow plug/ heater indicator circuit
U3F03 Unknown DTC
P1635 GM: 5 Volt Reference Circuit (tire and axle out of range)

Do I need to be worried about anything? I'm thinking the low and high fuel pump circuit is due to the fuel switch In the dash popping off in the wreck, would that be correct? I don't know what the glow plug issue would be, I don't know what the U3F03 is and the P1635 is because the axle got screwed up in the wreck.

Also when the truck rolled the batteries got ripped out but he doesn't know if the truck was shut off at that point or not, would have the truck shut off without batteries? If not would the truck run long enough to damage anything?

78f100

Reaction score
You can try to start it by the starter wire, round plug by the ac box and fender. Make sure all the wires to the battery terminals are not pulled loose. If the inertia switch is broke, removed, you can run a hot wire to the lpfp just to make sure it starts.

webb06

Reaction score
I would try to roll the engine over with a long ratchet. We've had a few rollovers brought in to use engines on other trucks with oil on top of pistons and it'll bend a rod if you try to start it like that....ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300000 and counting

Reaction score
You can try to start it by the starter wire, round plug by the ac box and fender. Make sure all the wires to the battery terminals are not pulled loose. If the inertia switch is broke, removed, you can run a hot wire to the lpfp just to make sure it starts.

The truck is 13 hours from me the owner doesn't really want to mess with it, so I don't really have a lot of options on hearing or seeing it run unless I drive there and mess with it before I buy it. I kind of just need to make sure I'm not going to being buy a motor that needs internal work.

I would try to roll the engine over with a long ratchet. We've had a few rollovers brought in to use engines on other trucks with oil on top of pistons and it'll bend a rod if you try to start it like that....ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think there would still be oil on top of the pistons after a year?

Zmann

Reaction score
yes

but i wouldn't buy a roll over expecting the best

i would price it expecting the worst

that being said I would imagine as soon as the batteries were torn away everything spun to a stop plus the inertia killed the fuel

300000 and counting

Reaction score
If you're worried about the oil couldn't you just pull glow plugs and bump the starter?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

That's the plan but I'm gonna turn it over by hand he said it was low on oil so I told him don't try to start it.

yes

but i wouldn't buy a roll over expecting the best

i would price it expecting the worst

that being said I would imagine as soon as the batteries were torn away everything spun to a stop plus the inertia killed the fuel

That's what I'm think but if the motor would be bad I could part it out for more then I'll have in it, but I'm looking for the go fast parts and not looking to make money.

Latest posts

Members online