Front axle questions

BFT

Reaction score
My passenger side has some grease and what not coming out. The "u" joints have quite a bit of play and has some abnormal vibrations coming from the front end at around 70 MPH.
Anyhow, what do I need to fix this? I'll most likely be doing both sides just for ease of mind. Any specialty tools?

Tanks in advance

tensixniner

Reaction score
Ford has updated dust seals for the ends of the axle tubes. Yours are probably the old style and shot.

If you have manual hubs the knuckle seals aren't that important and you can reuse them if they aren't damaged when removed.

tensixniner

Reaction score
Yeah have them on hand. They are not cheap.
With vacuum hubs they need to seal perfect, manual hubs they don't need to be air tite.

BFT

Reaction score
Trying to find them on sunrise fords online store with no luck. You guys don't happen to have part #s

B585Ford

Reaction score
I realize this is a very old thread, but I noticed my seals are just sitting freely on the axle. I have manual hubs. Do I need to fix this or can I get away with this for a while?

co04cobra

Reaction score
I realize this is a very old thread, but I noticed my seals are just sitting freely on the axle. I have manual hubs. Do I need to fix this or can I get away with this for a while?

Run it. Won't hurt a thing and you can't keep that old style from doing that anyway. You could put them in new and a year from now they'll do it again. Now the new style is a pretty nice setup.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Run it. Won't hurt a thing and you can't keep that old style from doing that anyway. You could put them in new and a year from now they'll do it again. Now the new style is a pretty nice setup.

Thank you very much....that is re-assuring. If I do ultimately go to the new style, what would I be looking at in parts and labor?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Thank you very much....that is re-assuring. If I do ultimately go to the new style, what would I be looking at in parts and labor?

The seals aren't that expensive. If you've haven't replaced ball joints recently I would guess they would need serviced too. So that changes the time and parts amount greatly.

It could be as little as $150 or up to $550 if ball joints are replaced also. Wheel bearings, tie rods, brakes, and rotors are also always checked when we do it in house.

That should give you a close idea on what is involved.

B585Ford

Reaction score
The seals aren't that expensive. If you've haven't replaced ball joints recently I would guess they would need serviced too. So that changes the time and parts amount greatly.

It could be as little as $150 or up to $550 if ball joints are replaced also. Wheel bearings, tie rods, brakes, and rotors are also always checked when we do it in house.

That should give you a close idea on what is involved.

Thanks, and that is better than I thought it would be. So far my ball joints are doing good....just checked them...that is when I noticed this. Typically I do my own brakes unless the rotors are bad. Since you were gracious enough to respond and you are relatively local, I will get a hold of you when I need to do ball joints and do both at the same time. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.